What is that on my Tangerine Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I thought my tangerine was looking pretty good and daw new leaves came out. However, I noticed the new leaves started to deformed and have these white stuffs on them. Below are some pictures.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like leaf miner damage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought my tangerine was looking pretty good and daw new leaves came out. However, I noticed the new leaves started to deformed and have these white stuffs on them. Below are some pictures.

View attachment 8282
View attachment 8283
View attachment 8284
Zigs is 100% correct. That is damage caused by citrus leaf miner. It mostly affects young trees and usually damage is minimal, unsightly yes but unlikely to drastically damage the tree. It is caused by a little white moth that lays its eggs on the leaves. The miners first started to appear in the US about 2000 and they came from Mexico. Commercial citrus growers us a systemic chemical to control them but organic gardeners have found that Neem Oil sprayed on both sides of the leaves every 9-11 days will take care of them. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 the worst these leaf miners rate about a 5 on the Worry About Scale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That doesn't look very pleasant, and you have your answer now from @Chuck and how to treat it! Hope it will turn around and give you plenty of tangerines!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I added 1 FL oz of Neem oil to 1 gallon of water and sprayed the plant. It appears the solution burned the new leaves. Is that normal?
I should have mentioned that you only spray Neem early in the morning and late in the afternoon, never in the heat of the day. The oil magnifies the sunlight and will scorch young leaves. Don't worry though, the tree will not be severely damaged and the leaves will grow back

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO opinion the yellowing leaves are not an immediate problem. All of the damage that I see were caused by insects of which you have mostly taken care of. I would, in 3 -5 days spray again on both sides of the leaves with Neem in order to take care of any eggs that might have been missed or freshly hatched. The discolored and damaged leaves will shed and new leaves will appear later. All in all your tree looks good. The leaf miner damage is minimal. I would keep the grass away from the tree out to the drip line and keep the suckers from coming up and growing

Ask a Question