Sweetbay Tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. In my quest to ID our garden, I think I've found the correct name for a tree in front of our home. I've been doing a lot of reading and found the magnolia Virginiana Sweetbay tree. Here is a pic taken today. image.jpg And the garden pic from book, "Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants" by Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Can anyone verify with these photos?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Silver Surfer. I'll check on fragrance. I am surprised that any type of magnolia can grow, never mind thrive, in freezing Massachusetts! This is def a learning experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was very surprised when I moved to Michigan that magnolia trees could grow here! I always thought they were a strictly warm-weather tree.
No expert on trees but that looks like the magnolia trees I've seen here. I worked on a house that had a huge one, maybe 40 feet tall and covered with big fragrant blooms in summer.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My zone is warmer than Michigan in fact they call Maryland south but we get cold and freeze often. We have very large Magnolia trees, the aroma is so heavenly, I love when they are in bloom. The blooms are so pretty also, sometimes I find myself just looking at the trees when I am on my walks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The flowers are very fragrant. It has these pods which fall off of it too I moved them to grass as they are difficult to see on mulch.

Thx Beth and Pat I find myself examining things botanical too. What a lovely world it can be!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 275
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thanks Silver Surfer. I'll check on fragrance. I am surprised that any type of magnolia can grow, never mind thrive, in freezing Massachusetts! This is def a learning experience.
I believe magnolias can grow anywhere:) They grow in Poland, even though winters can be harsh here. My neighbor has a beautiful, giant magnolia tree. I love it:D

Ask a Question