Sun and Roses

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom insisted on 3 new knockout roses this year as my Valentine's gift. I have two of them happily in the ground, one is even budding already. The last we just picked up this past weekend and I am really at a loss as to where to plant it. The development we're in has a guy they hire to mow lawns and he's not really careful around gardens, so I have to set it away from the lawn in any way or he'll whack it.

I actually posted earlier about a plot that I need to plant something in, and mom keeps saying to put the rose there. Problem: the spot only gets about 2 to 3 hours of sun a day, in the afternoon. Is that good enough for a knockout rose? I am really at a loss as to where to plant this, and don't want end up having to put it in my veggie garden (I have future plans for the veggie garden as far as raising it to meet my own issues as I age).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Ideally roses like approximately six hours of sunshine a day but considering the way the weather changes it's not possible. There's no reason why your rose shouldn't be happy with three hours. Try it in the area you've chosen and if it doesn't thrive then move it in a year or two.

Ask a Question