Sugar apples

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Do you have sugar apple trees where you live? The sugar apple is a favourite fruit of mine. It is somewhat similar to the soursop, but only a lot smaller in size. Sugar apples ripen on the tree and always have to be picked, since they do not fall after they ripen. If they are not picked, they just rot on the tree over a period of time, or the birds help themselves to them.

I have 2 sugar apple trees at the moment. These trees are moderate in size. They do not bear a whole lot of apples at any one time, and tend to bear about twice a year.

upload_2016-2-6_9-14-48.jpeg
upload_2016-2-6_9-17-30.jpeg

Reaction score
Wow! So many exotic fruits! I had never heard about this fruit, you guys who live in warm countries have a myriad of exotic fruit o_O Fruits I have never eaten and surely never will :( What does the sugar apple taste like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They sound delicious! I wonder if they taste like jackfruit since the inside looks like they have pounces like jackfruit with big seeds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Wow! So many exotic fruits! I had never heard about this fruit, you guys who live in warm countries have a myriad of exotic fruit o_O Fruits I have never eaten and surely never will :( What does the sugar apple taste like?

The sugar apple is quite sweet actually. The inside is full of black seeds which are covered with white matter which is what is eaten. The white matter is quite soft and easy to eat. There is also a little acidity, but not much. Eating one sugar apple can be quite filling because of its sugary content. When one is finished eating a sugar apple, there are a lot of seeds to throw away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks so weird and exotic, I've never seen a fruit like this here. I think I'd love it, I've always liked eating sweet fruits:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Sugar Apple or Sweetsop (Annona squamosa) is one of a number of Annona species cultivated for their sweet fruit. Other popular species include Cherimoya (A. cherimola), Guanabana or Soursop (A. muricata), and Custard Apple (A. reticulata).
One species, the Pond Apple (A. glabra), occurs natively in wet areas of southern Florida.
Most of the 171 species of Annona occur in the New World tropics, but there are five species native to tropical Africa, and one of these (A. senegalensis) also occurs natively in Madagascar.

Annona is the type genus of the large and diverse Custard-apple Family (Annonaceae), which occurs throughout the world's wet tropical and warm temperate regions. The family has a number of genera that produce human-edible fruit, including Annona, Anonidium, Asimina, Rollinia, and Uvaria.

Ask a Question