Succulent has munchy marks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
image.jpg
I bought this lovely succulent at about 10cm or 3 inches in diameter and waited patiently for it to fill this container. It did and looked lovely but now it certainly does not:( !
I haven't seen any bugs on it and think maybe it's birds. I now actually remember a big pot I had with succulents was being eaten by the cockatoos. I have lots of parrots around which I do encourage. They land on my decking and ask to be fed. Is it likely to be birds or bugs do you think?:confused:
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 8456 I bought this lovely succulent at about 10cm or 3 inches in diameter and waited patiently for it to fill this container. It did and looked lovely but now it certainly does not:( !
I haven't seen any bugs on it and think maybe it's birds. I now actually remember a big pot I had with succulents was being eaten by the cockatoos. I have lots of parrots around which I do encourage. They land on my decking and ask to be fed. Is it likely to be birds or bugs do you think?:confused:View attachment 8460
By the evidence strewn about your deck and the damage to the leaves, if this were in the US it would be undoubtedly rats, mice or some other 4 legged critter. The birds here do not do that type of damage but you do have a dearth of weird animals where you live. How about hanging the plant up a foot or two from the deck and cover it with chicken wire

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
By the evidence strewn about your deck and the damage to the leaves, if this were in the US it would be undoubtedly rats, mice or some other 4 legged critter. The birds here do not do that type of damage but you do have a dearth of weird animals where you live. How about hanging the plant up a foot or two from the deck and cover it with chicken wire
I'm afraid I actually flicked that on the floor collecting the evidence. Don't think it could be mice or rats as we have 3 cats. My daughter in law just told me she saw a rosella on the pot so maybe that's it. If they like succulents I'll have to rethink where I put them. Thanks Chuck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Australian cats must be different from American cats in their mental attitudes. American cats when I was growing up were always out and about catching all kinds of critters, birds, snakes, rabbits, rats, mice, you name it, and bringing them home to enjoy at their leisure. But a few decades ago American cats realized that they didn't have to hunt for living and became human trainers instead. After a few generations of human training and brainwashing the American cats finally realized that they had finally achieved their dream goal of Feline Utopia, of being totally taken care of. No more getting up early in the morning and going to work in order to feed themselves. No more crawling around in the dark under some dusty dirty house trying to catch some distasteful rat. No more sweating in the hot sun waiting for a mouthful of feathers. They realized that they had so well trained the humans that they needn't do anything except look smug while waiting for the next meal. Thus the era of welfare cats is ushered in. Apparently, if what you say is true, Australian cats haven't devolved into welfare cats yet and are still working and doing a cats job. I hope this is true and you never have to endure the embarrassment of rats running, playing, reproducing faster than rabbits and eating your plants while in the midst of your cats.:D

Ask a Question