Stumperies..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well now - Prince Charles....(he`s a member of our royal family) for all of you over the pond wot spik different language :)....he has a stumpery. It is a very big and posh stumpery, and I saw it on a tele program. Well I was a bit gob smacked (English for surprised) so I thought, if he can have a stumpery ..so can I, so I can (Irish impression)
I have looked here to find some more stumperies, and cannot find any, which is a shame because they really do attract wildlife, and give super planting opportunities.
DSC00005.JPG
Here is a section of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice but NOT really a stumpery....

They need to be big chunky bits of decaying wood set in the shade or wooded part of garden to which you can add ferns etc and not a border I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The biggest bit of decaying wood in my stumpery weighs about 2 tons. The ferns grow well on the shady side, and house leeks and similar seem to be happy on the drier and hotter areas. I have observed a lot of activity around the stumps from various beetles, and the birds seem to love it. There is also a hedgehog shelter built in underneath the stumps in one area, and a bee hotel too.
Perhaps Lollipop, if you are better versed in stumperies, you could show me an example of yours and give me some tips on how to improve my efforts :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have stumperies thank you and there not in a border, it's not where they should be I'm afraid.

There in a wooded part of the garden with ferns around them, as nature intended, to make helping them look more natural in their environment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I shall look forward to that then ... and it`s they`re. There is for here, there, and everywhere. ;)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry. Miss this lovely bit. Don't worry. The skull hit me with a whack and has departed for heavens, so it said. Won't go there again. I wish her all the best... Not one to be petty... Haha .. my face is now all RED!

I DO WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. BUT NO MORE EMAILS PLEASE.

Lovely to see your photos, Tetters. Where is this stumpery? Is it prince charles'? It's much better than the stumperies that I saw in Biddulph Grange. There you have MASSIVE stumps lumped together or chucked onto the ground. This one is very elegant. Wouldn't mind creating one, weather permitting.

Runny: I have yet to see your photo contribution. Don't know why I missed this bit .. I'm still trying to find my way.

Have a nice day to all!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've cleaned this thread up (21 posts!) as it was full of arguments - please, no more bickering. No need to explain to me the who, what and why of what happened elsewhere. This isn't directed at anyone in particular, as I don't know the past story - but a heads up that it can't carry on here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daren - that is amazing! It all looks so natural and an absolute haven for wildlife.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely.. Such a big garden with the stumpery is so organic.. Love the forsythia .. Glorious yellow. I have taken cuttings for some doubles... I am going to air-layer my acer today ..

Nice idea for entertaining .. Daren..and such good and organic use of natural materials..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nbryant1

Latest Threads