Stumperies..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Runny, delighted your night phlox is in good health :)
Daren, keep us updated there. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Think Daren is hiding, behind the biggest stump! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Strumperies, LOL. New word for me. LOL :):):):) Anyway, :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ok, that is out of my system.
We did take down 8 trees three summers ago, working on "Burning" out the stumps, but they are low. Have two over on the side which are to close to flowers to burn out, so thinking of ringing them with a wide garden boarder thing, pile soil in it and plant some annuals. We are in the process of "burning" out to right now. Have not seen pieces of wood used in that way as above pictures. We have a log splitter, that splits them for our fireplace. Keeping wood too close to the house invites insects (just saying)

See what Daren has done is good for everything, rather than burning them. Use cut rings as stepping stones or garden features, logs as seats .. some smaller one for wildlife .. I saw people using twigs and bigger branches for Stoats and other wildlife ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Tetters: they are lovely! Cobra in Kent! Shock horror! i like your banter with johnny .. very cheesy! LOL! But so apt..

Runny, phlox! I wish I had said yes and I would have 2 packets or at least one. Will see if I can get it cheap end of season sales.. Everybody is raging about the knock out scent.

That stumpery is amazing .. Such well use of logs, organic and practical.. So glad you've started this thread, Tetters.

Johnny, that's it, Totem is the word.. Saw them quite a few times. Very interesting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strumperies, LOL. New word for me. LOL :):):):) Anyway, :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ok, that is out of my system.
We did take down 8 trees three summers ago, working on "Burning" out the stumps, but they are low. Have two over on the side which are to close to flowers to burn out, so thinking of ringing them with a wide garden boarder thing, pile soil in it and plant some annuals. We are in the process of "burning" out to right now. Have not seen pieces of wood used in that way as above pictures. We have a log splitter, that splits them for our fireplace. Keeping wood too close to the house invites insects (just saying)
What a chuckle Esther....now you have given my Stumpery a whole new Presidential name :LOL::LOL::LOL: In future it will always be my STrumpery.
Do you have problems with termites where you live? I've been thinking a strumpery :) wouldn`t last long at all where my kids are in Queensland.
We usually get stumps removed with a stump grinder.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Queensland? My ex's sister just went back to Queensland, Cairns. She was so worn out that she fainted on the plane... Two funerals and a lot of to and fro were to blame, I think!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Interestingly, is this a "stumpery"? :D

1397229893_raznoobraznaya_1-66.jpeg

Translation: "I saw terrible things!" :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
oh, I see, accidently put and "R" in there. The word Stumperies is funny anyway, with or without the "R". No we have no trouble with termites. And some do remove stumps with a stump grinder, but it cost $$$. so instead we are burning them out. I guess if I was an anal gardner I would go for the grinder, but I am not, and we have tons of leaves to burn anyway.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Esther: You can think of making leaf mould by storing some in sacs and even selling them for $! Leaf mould is a good soil condition for clay soil and some plants love it as part of their growing conditions. Dry leaves can be composted. Mind you, with the size of your garden, I can understand why you resort to burning them. Here people sell or give away their logs .. but then we have smaller gardens. Well, I have.. can't say for others..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Spelling lol never my strong point. I often refer to this kind of garden feature as loggery :) spell cheque is not likening that:) ....... here is a picture of my dog named woody yesterday in the daffs. He is 10 this April & he loves a stick or ball(y)
P1030577.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We have 20, 180 foot tall trees in our front yard alone.--they drop leaves in the fall. We have 10, 180 foot tall trees in our back yard, that drop leaves, we have a wooded perimeter. We have 3 acres. I start raking in October, and I am still raking. We have machines to suck it up, we have blowers, we have tarp to drag leaves to the woods to break down. We pile leaves on the stump, can't burn fast enough. Have to wait till the wind is right also. I work full time outside the home, so beside, my job, cleaning house, cooking meals, sitting on the computer, sleeping. laundry. Yes, husband helps but he has his stuff as we all.
Around this area, there are lots of leaves for all to have for their own property, and also lots of free wood to burn for fireplaces or wood stove.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
So you move those logs around when you mow the lawn? @Daren .
O no To much like hard work They nearly broke me moveing them there in the first place. I moved them in place by hand on my own. some of my biggest logs where real hard to move the 50yard or more from where they fell. I had to invent ways and means to get them in position..... Now I just strim round them before I cut. I' also like you are a little bit engulfed by leaves. My own garden is surrounded by load of mature oaks. & I also look after and maintain many gardens One garden I do Is a wedding venue which has 73 wedding booked this year. I get out the garden before the bride turns up lol they don't want me there:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Terrifying, Esther! Suddenly, the joy becomes a chore! Raking from October to March! Oh, dear! That's some chore.. You're a superwoman, Esther and you keep your garden beautifully. I voted for your garden .. Shhh!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JittyJohnser

Latest Threads