Structure in my backyard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can someone help me identify the structure which is in my backyard. I have no idea what it is. Is it used for ceremonies ? or is it more for growing some sort of plants ? Its atleast 12 feet in height. Home depot basket is there for size comparison

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 12.59.29 PM (3).jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It's a pergola, used for ceremonies (usually a lot wider than this one) and for supporting vines. I'd plunk a small chair under it, plant fragrant vines, and enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I agree with @marlingadener, though it could also be called an "Arbor". We have one for the exit of our Zen Garden. We planted Thompson Seedless Grape vines on either side. The vines are now growing up the sides and over the top.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes, that is more of an arbor than a pergola, simply because of the narrowness of it. Good comment, Rick!
I would still plant a fragrant vine on it, just for your enjoyment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I built one of these as a gate arbor in my fence. I will build one much larger to cover a patio I plan on building next year.

I have grape vines on order to plant on my fence and gate arbor.

I bet you could hang a swinging chair in that one.

Attachments

• BackFence2.jpg
    BackFence2.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 42
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your responses. This makes so much more sense now ! I dont have a huge yard so I am not sure why the previous owners of this house had this installed. Anyway now I have to think of a better way to use it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mr Yan hit on a good idea, if you don`t have a pathway through the arbour, you could make a swing
1623914140543.png
and
have roses/climbers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking about the swing but this is not a very stable and solid structure and chances of falling down are high

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I hear ya! My yard is smaller, and the previous owners had a bunch of everything growing everywhere! Alot has been cut down, dug out,, etc and the yard feels bigger now. If I had what you have, and I thought about getting one. You could plant a climbing plant there. Maybe do some nice landscaping around it as well and put a small table and chair there. Do you get alot of sun there? From your pic it it looks like a lot of shade. Have you thought about taking it down or relocating to another part of the yard?

Ask a Question