Tomato Support Structure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HPJUS 4 May 2014 Overhead Tomato Support Structure
A support structure for 24 tomato plants was constructed from rebar, fence posts and plastic ties. The structure is slightly over 6 feet high. The plants are tied via 1/4 inch soft rope as required.The plants are free to grow unimpeded.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did you trellis the tomatoes on this last year? and if so what kind,I posted a thread about this and really didn't get many answers,like does the plant need to be pinched down to 4,3,or2 main stalks,I'm pretty sure I'll need indeterminate plants,i already have 4 different types started,regular tomatoes not cherry or small ones. i was going to try this old swing frame.
CAM00054.jpg
CAM00054.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The swing will do fine. I sometimes remove a branch if it crowds, but generally simply support as required. I knot the rope under a branch and weave a bit then tie to the overhead. I have used the support for many years and find it the best system. No system is perfect due to the growth pattern of tomatoes. For cherry I use a flat wire panel and tie the various branches.

I always plant indeterminate. I juice most and grow various. My favorites are the dark types like Black Krim or similar.

This is the 2013 system.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QWGMW 1 May 2013 Tomato Support System
A tomato support system was made using rebar and plastic ties to support 27 tomato plants by strings 1/8 diameter dropped down from the structure to the tomato fruit bearing branches. The total area for the structure is 6.5 feet by 22 feet. The verticals are eight foot half inch rebar about two feet in the ground so the hight is approximately six feet to avoid head bumping when harvesting the fruit.The rebar are held together by plastic ties.The planting area was fertilized with compost and rototilled in preparation for planting about the 24 of May in my Zone 5.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZWBJH 12 June 2012 Tomato Support System
A few more cords were added today to support fruit laden branches. The tomatoes are absolutely free growing with no obstructions.There are 32 plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, my light levels preclude growing like that.
Here, indeterminate tomatoes have to be restricted to one, or at most, two stems, unless I go to the bother of espalier, where four stems can be grown, but there is little advantage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks so much, headfullofbees that exactly what i was looking for,
ESPALIER ! ! didn't know what it was called, years ago i had seen this in a greenhouse,the tomato main stem came up about 2 feet and was bent over an ran about 20ft horizontally,about every 3ft there was 2 branches that were grown vertical about 8ft high (on rope) supported from the top (greenhouse) that's what gave me the idea to use old frame,have googled trellising and no answers,espalier is the word and technique,so thanks a lot :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
@Durgan what length of growing season and temperatures do you get outside? I would imagine it's slightly shorter than here in Britain. Growing outside for me is a non-starter because of the unsettled weather conditions here on the island, my tomatoes are greenhouse grown.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
@Durgan what length of growing season and temperatures do you get outside? I would imagine it's slightly shorter than here in Britain. Growing outside for me is a non-starter because of the unsettled weather conditions here on the island, my tomatoes are greenhouse grown.

I get about 120 days of 20 C and above, from 24 May to about 10 September. Usually a lot of Sun. Tomatoes produce well but there can be some rare bad years, meaning rainy and cold.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XZHCV 16 September 2012 . 214 pounds of tomatoes picked 2,5,9,16 September
A total of 513 pounds of tomatoes was picked from about 32 plants over the season.Average 16 pounds per plant. There are probably another 100 or so pounds remaining if the weather holds with no frost.This is my best year ever for tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That's interesting, about the same length of time as it would be here but you gain on temperature and sunshine. :) Our maximum temperature in a good year is 25C/77F but that's at the height of summer and is rare, only lasting a few days. The average is about 17-18C/62-64F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have not seen these type of growing structures. We've always done tomato cages. I just ordered a bunch of plants that are coming in. I'm mad we got rid of that old swing set now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes i googled espalier tomatoes,and down loaded pdf from tomatomania.com and its some good information, pretty amazing how he uses fence panels. with tomatoes to shade garden .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those are some really nice structures and set ups. I only have a couple of tomato plants so I just use those metal circular structures I got from Home Depot. It works well for me but I would imagine that you might need something different if you are growing a lot of tomatoes.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting system, I don't grow that many tomatoes. I will use the cages this summer.

Ask a Question