Need ideas of what to do in this area of my backyard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I'm struggling to come up with ideas of what to do in this specific area of my backyard in between the wall and a paved area, was going to plant some wildflowers mix but that seems a bit boring...
I was thinking-wanting of some sort of mansory in the middle, something that resembles or serves as a table when needed, then plant some flowers around it... (ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME, I'm not to creative when it comes to gardening).
I'll share some pictures so you can have some visuals (those measurements are inches), I'm no expert but i just did that tree circle (not a circle) following a YouTube tutorial, I'm thinking of doing something similar for that other tree that follows the area being questioned.
I also added additional pictures so you can see how much sun light I get in there area at around 1pm.
Btw, I'm trying to do it myself, gardeners are expensive in my area.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20210520_194539.jpg
    20210520_194539.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210520_193900~2.jpg
    20210520_193900~2.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210520_193933.jpg
    20210520_193933.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210520_094446.jpg
    20210520_094446.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210520_094346.jpg
    20210520_094346.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 84

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Definitely look into some native species that would do well in those conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely look into some native species that would do well in those conditions.
Can you please articulate a bit more? I'd like an idea for a set up, perhaps like a low structure, even if I have to change the flowers or plants every year as long as I don't have to re condition the area. Hope that makes sense and Thank you for the reply

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Talk with a local nursery person that is familiar with your area. You didn’t mention your part of the country, shade, full sun, etc. A daisy and an impatient have very different needs. You might be best to start with large planters to explore your planting desires. Wildflowers tend to look weedy most of the year if you are not an experienced gardener. Try starting with a mix of annuals and perennials that suit your local conditions. Good luck whatever you decide.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Bpaps and welcome. The first thing to do there is sort out some good soil. Whatever you decide to grow will need some good earth to grow in.
Our conditions here in England are probably very different to yours, and so it is difficult to come up with any good ideas for you. You don`t even mention what area you live in and the USA is a big place - I expect one state/county is quite different to the next. Can you give us bit more information to go on ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello @Bpaps and welcome. The first thing to do there is sort out some good soil. Whatever you decide to grow will need some good earth to grow in.
Our conditions here in England are probably very different to yours, and so it is difficult to come up with any good ideas for you. You don`t even mention what area you live in and the USA is a big place - I expect one state/county is quite different to the next. Can you give us bit more information to go on ?
Thank you all for your replies, I live in northern New Jersey. The pictures of the grass were taken at around 1 pm a week ago. That part of the yard does not get much sun but in the morning, the rest of the yard gets sun at least 7- 8 hours a day.
I get that plants would need good soil which I don't have much in that area, the contractor building the wall dump a lot of rocks and cement there, not impossible to work on bit very hard, which is why I was thinking of placing or building a structure there, something that looks nice. Not too high, something that may serve as a table or to place some pots on top of it. Also was thinking of buying to big pots and putting it on each side of whatever we come with to place in the middle of that area lol.
So I'm not limited to garden, at one point was also thinking of filling it with medium rocks. But it gets really messy in spring and fall and cleaning the area may become an issue

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Are you wanting to plant something different every year there like a annual? Or just have it keep coming back every year like a perennial?

Annuals. If you plant impatience there it would be beautiful, they don't like alot of sun. Fuschia is another one that loves shade.

Perennials -Salvia, Holly hocks like shade. They do get tall. If you are looking for shorter there are ground cover flowers you can do that will look nice around a tall table, garden nurseries have a ton so you can pick any. Hosta,s are a good one. Rhodendron and Azaleas. Ooooo that may be pretty a bush on each side of the table. They flower mostly spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hello all,

I'm struggling to come up with ideas of what to do in this specific area of my backyard in between the wall and a paved area, was going to plant some wildflowers mix but that seems a bit boring...
I was thinking-wanting of some sort of mansory in the middle, something that resembles or serves as a table when needed, then plant some flowers around it... (ALL IDEAS ARE WELCOME, I'm not to creative when it comes to gardening).
I'll share some pictures so you can have some visuals (those measurements are inches), I'm no expert but i just did that tree circle (not a circle) following a YouTube tutorial, I'm thinking of doing something similar for that other tree that follows the area being questioned.
I also added additional pictures so you can see how much sun light I get in there area at around 1pm.
Btw, I'm trying to do it myself, gardeners are expensive in my area.
Thank you in advance!
What are the conditions throughout the day for your planting area: - sun, heat, soil, etc...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Zebra Grass should do well there , nice and ornate medium green with off white vertical stripes . If you have a cat or dog they will love it , and vest part is it's drought tollerant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Zebra Grass should do well there , nice and ornate medium green with off white vertical stripes . If you have a cat or dog they will love it , and vest part is it's drought tollerant
If dogs like that means raccoons may like it too? We have a bunch of them if the area, skunks too. Rather keep them away, they crap all over the place and dig holes in the grass

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are the conditions throughout the day for your planting area: - sun, heat, soil, etc...
Northern NJ, last week was in the 50s this week the 90s, many thunderstorms lately, the winters are cold. Summer is really hot and mostly humid.
The area on the picture barely gets sun but the surrounding area gets blasted all day long, at least during the summer.

Edit
Idk the type of soil, i know there's a significant amount of life rockd in the ground

Ask a Question