Strange but Amazing Plants

Reaction score
Another strange and but truly amazing plant that deserves a mention is Dracaena Cinnabari otherwise known as

The Dragons Blood Tree

View attachment 1561

View attachment 1557

View attachment 1560

View attachment 1559

The Dragons Blood tree is so rare that you will only find in growing in Yemen and it got its name because of its sap which is dark red in color and is said to resemble blood.
This trees magnificent canopy is the only reason that this amazing tree survives in its desert location, as it acts like a parasol and keeps the bottom of the tree shaded from the strong sunlight.

A truly spectacular looking tree with a really unique look don't you think ?

Those trees are so cool. They look like something out of a Dr. Seuss book. The world is so beautiful.

Reaction score
Some of you may well remember this next plant Adenium Obessum especially as the cultivated form - was very recently discussed under the thread title ' Desert Rose '
This is what Adenium Obessum or The Desert Rose looks like growing in its natural habitat where it lives amongst the 'Dragons Blood Trees' on the island of Socotra

Socotra-Island-11.jpg

Socotra-adenium in flower.jpg

Socotra-adenimus plus trees.jpg

Socotra adenium desert rose.jpg

socotra adenium large.jpg

I think you would agree these Adeniums are considerably larger than the cultivated form :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow! It looks like a complete different world! Especially the third picture is different from anything that I've ever seen with my own eyes.
The Desert Rose is a gorgeous plant, I love the color of its flowers:)

Reaction score
Claudine - The third picture is my favorite too - its such an usual sight that its almost as if it were from another planet :Dbut I would agree Adeniums are truly gorgeous plants whether growing in the wild or as a houseplant - but have to admit that in their natural habitat they look considerably larger than the cultivated houseplants that we know - like these

Adenium 270ab0.jpg

Adenium Desert Rose Hybrid 6inch.jpg

ademium obes. pink.jpg

These very definitely look considerably smaller don't you think ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, they're much smaller. But in my opinion it's a good thing. As you all know, I have a soft spot for miniature plants:love:. There is nothing prettier than a tiny rose. Adeniums that grow in flower pots are very lovely as well.
But it doesn't change the fact that I'd love to see them in their natural habitat:)

Reaction score
Ophrys Apifera - Bee Orchid - commonly known as " The Laughing Bumble Bee Plant "

Strange Flowers - Ophrys Apifera - Plant.jpg

Although this plant is not exactly strange its one that I feel really deserves to be mentioned - as its an incredibly amazing plant - in that - because it can only be pollinated by a certain species of bee and those bees are a bit of rarity - in order to survive and not become extinct - not only does it have flowers that resemble a female bee - it can also mimic the scent of a female bee - in order to make sure that it gets pollinated and apparently it is said that - the male bees always prefer the flowers with the most bee like lips :D

I have to say I would really love to have some of these growing in my garden and feel sure that there are many of you that will agree - that Ophrys Apifera or " The Laughing Bumble Bee Plant " is probably one of the most adorably cute plants that you've even seen - just take a look at these cute little happy faces and you'll see what I mean

Strange Flowers - Ophrys - Bee Orchid.jpg

Strange Flowers - Ophrys Apifera - laughing bumble bee 1.jpg

Strange Flowers - Ophrys Apifera - Bee Orchid 2.jpg

Strange Flowers - Ophrys - Laughing Bumble Bee.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's lovely Gata :)

Like something straight out of Pokémon :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
'The Laughing Bumble Bee Plant' is so adorable, I love it!
Another really weird plant is 'Hammer Orchid'. It's native to Western Australia. To attract wasps, it smells like meat. Here is what it looks like:

Drakaea-elastica-Capel-23-Sep-2009.jpg

Reaction score
What I want to know about the carnivorous plants is this; How the hell did they evolve to rely upon eating animals in order to survive!? It just seems like waayyy too much of a leap from every other plant for this to really make sense to me. I mean, obviously it did happen, I just can't fathom how it happened.

Ask a Question