Strange but Amazing Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, it's so funny, in my opinion the Bat Flower is the perfect name for this plant, it really reminds me of a few bats sitting on leaves! I find it a little scary:p. I admit that it gorgeous though, I would like to see it in person, it's so unique!

Reaction score
I'm glad you like it, I too have seen many exotic and stunning flowers, but never one quite as exquisite as this, and with such intricate detail, and because of that I think I would prefer to call it by its other name ' The Cats Whiskers ' :)
This plant is definitely on my wish list and especially now that I know, that although very expensive and in very short supply, the seeds are available.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
However, if you were to put a carnivorous plant in fertile, nutrient rich soil, the plants natural survival mechanism would shut down and it would feed off the soil instead and not bugs, which is often what happens, when people buy carnivorous plants for the sole purpose of catching bugs, and a find they don't actually do what they thought they would - they are inactive :D because the plants are in nutrient rich soil their natural survival mechanism has shut down,and they no longer need to feed off bugs.
I never knew that about carnivorous plants. I guess I just thought they always ate bugs and things. Interesting bit of knowledge to have.

Some of those plants look like something out of a scary movie.

Reaction score
Not on a normal farm they wouldn't, this was part of factory farming, the chicks get put on a conveyor belt to be sexed, the males are no good for egg production so they get dropped straight into a shredder, horrific.[/quote
That is horrible even by farming standards. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I had to do that for work.

Reaction score
Another strange and but truly amazing plant that deserves a mention is Dracaena Cinnabari otherwise known as

The Dragons Blood Tree

strange - dragon socotra_trees.jpg

strange - dragons blood tree.jpg

strange - dragon tree group.jpg

Strange Dragon Blood Dracaena Cinnabari.jpg

The Dragons Blood tree is so rare that you will only find in growing in Yemen and it got its name because of its sap which is dark red in color and is said to resemble blood.
This trees magnificent canopy is the only reason that this amazing tree survives in its desert location, as it acts like a parasol and keeps the bottom of the tree shaded from the strong sunlight.

A truly spectacular looking tree with a really unique look don't you think ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Another strange and but truly amazing plant that deserves a mention is Dracaena Cinnabari otherwise known as

The Dragons Blood Tree

View attachment 1561

View attachment 1557

View attachment 1560

View attachment 1559

The Dragons Blood tree is so rare that you will only find in growing in Yemen and it got its name because of its sap which is dark red in color and is said to resemble blood.
This trees magnificent canopy is the only reason that this amazing tree survives in its desert location, as it acts like a parasol and keeps the bottom of the tree shaded from the strong sunlight.

A truly spectacular looking tree with a really unique look don't you think ?
Remarkable, I have never seen anything like it. It looks prehistoric and extraterrestrial at the same time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The Dragons Blood Tree looks surreal, I've never seen anything like it! It's branches grow so thick, it's amazing. I would love to see a close up on its leaves, I wonder what do they look like.

Reaction score
Have to agree with you they do look almost unreal but awesome because of it.:)

claudine, - The leaves or needles are pine like and trying to find a close of them is quite difficult as there a very few to be found - and these are the best I could get

Close of of the leaves or needles

srrange -spiky-leaves-dragon-tree-13695726.jpg

Under the canopy

strange - Dragons-blood-tree.jpg

and couldn't resist adding this one with their canopies growing in different directions :D

Strange -Dracaena-cinnabari-aka-Dragons-Blood-trees-on-Socotra.jpg

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, wonder what the 2 of them were thinking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The last picture looks so funny, thank you for sharing it!:D
From what I see in the close-up, I think it's something between needles and leaves. It's an amazing tree! It's definitely one of a kind:)

Reaction score
Strange -Dracaena-cinnabari-aka-Dragons-Blood-trees-on-Socotra.jpg

Tree on the right is saying - " Gosh - you're really having a bad hair day aren't you "

or

" can see you've been playing with those electricity cables again "

Ask a Question