Strange but Amazing Plants

Reaction score
I wish there was a way to encourage carnivorous plants to become vegetarians;)

There is, as I mentioned earlier - carnivorous plants are normally found growing in soils that lack any form of nutrients, and because of that, they can't obtain the necessary nutrients that they need from the soil, so in order to survive, their survival mechanism kicks in and they feed off insects instead, which provide the necessary nutrients that they need to survive.
However, if you were to put a carnivorous plant in fertile, nutrient rich soil, the plants natural survival mechanism would shut down and it would feed off the soil instead and not bugs, which is often what happens, when people buy carnivorous plants for the sole purpose of catching bugs, and a find they don't actually do what they thought they would - they are inactive :D because the plants are in nutrient rich soil their natural survival mechanism has shut down,and they no longer need to feed off bugs.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, I don't understand people who go vegan. Vegetarians give up on meat because they don't want any animals to be killed because of them. But why give up on eggs, honey and milk?

It's not that simple Claudine, Honey is fine, the bees get looked after and fed in exchange for the honey.

Eggs? Well only Hens lay them, so the cockerels are killed shortly after hatching, not in a very nice way either :(

Milk? Again, the only way to get Mum's milk is to kill the baby :(

I've been vegan for 6 months,(for health reasons, didn't work though) its hard work, animal products are in almost everything.

Some vegans are ridiculose though, I know of one that wouldn't use toothpaste as it was made from chalk, animals that died 90 million years ago:rolleyes:

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't understand people who go vegan. Vegetarians give up on meat because they don't want any animals to be killed because of them. But why give up on eggs, honey and milk?

Well, according to a guy I know, they go vegan because they don't want to be part of the unfair explotation and treatment of those animals :censored: So they need to give up a lot of things! But I must say there is a vegan Youtube channel I watch for fun: vegan black metal chef. Omg... this guy is amazing!!! Since I'm a former black metal fan, plus his recipes look great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes - it's wonderful! I had no idea that carnivorous plants go vegetarian when they grow in nutrient rich soil. I guess I should visit some stores that sell them and take some fertilizer with me:D
Zigs - I thought that cows produce enough milk to be able to feed their babies even if you take away some of it:( If not, then it's horrible:( I'd rather give up on milk than hurt a baby cow:(
As for eggs, I don't understand why so many cockerels are killed. Don't they need them to impregnate hens?
Trellum - I'm not sure if I ever manage to go vegan, but I go to protests:) Unfair treatment and explotation of animals is something that makes me very unhappy:(

Reaction score
Gata Montes - it's wonderful! I had no idea that carnivorous plants go vegetarian when they grow in nutrient rich soil. I guess I should visit some stores that sell them and take some fertilizer with me:D

You could just to be on the safe side, but I think most are sold in nutrient rich soil, as not everyone realizes that carnivorous plants don't like too much TLC or nutrient rich soil, and that they need to be in poor soil in order to be carnivorous :D

I do however have a little question for you regarding eggs - why is it and this is just a curiosity thing, if you don't eat meat because of your feelings regarding animals - that you feel eggs are okay, because I'm a little confused by that.:confused:
Surely eating an egg, is the equivalent of eating what would be a baby chicken, and what happens when the egg is taken away from the warmth of the mother hen, do you think, that the would be little chick feels any pain, as it dies inside the shell ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Most eggs are unfertilised, on account of them killing all the Cockerels just after birth, so there wouldn't be a baby chicken in them (Only heard of one in a box of shop bought eggs in 51 years)

Reaction score
Cool plants! Thanks for sharing. Yes, they are weird. I showed them to my son and thought they were cool.

Reaction score
Most eggs are unfertilised, on account of them killing all the Cockerels just after birth, so there wouldn't be a baby chicken in them (Only heard of one in a box of shop bought eggs in 51 years)

I know that is the case for ' factory farmed ' eggs, but is apparently not the so, for many of the ' free range ' eggs and particularly those from some of the smaller suppliers.
I know that where I am, its normal practice to keep quite a lot of cockerels living amongst the hens, and even for those those that sell 'free range' eggs, which was what made me ask the question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I do however have a little question for you regarding eggs - why is it and this is just a curiosity thing, if you don't eat meat because of your feelings regarding animals - that you feel eggs are okay, because I'm a little confused by that.

Surely eating an egg, is the equivalent of eating what would be a baby chicken, and what happens when the egg is taken away from the warmth of the mother hen, do you think, that the would be little chick feels any pain, as it dies inside the shell ?
Most eggs aren't fertilized, so I don't feel guilty when I eat them. They would never turn into chickens. An egg itself doesn't feel anything, it's not a living creature. I know that in some countries people eat eggs with dead baby chickens in them (I believe it's called Balut). In my opinion it's extremely cruel and disgusting:(

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I only ever buy free range eggs, still not had a chicken in one yet, but yes, it is a possibility.

Did hear of a boy hatching one out from some supermarket eggs a few years back.

Reaction score
Chicken lay eggs because the are ovulating. I worked on a farm and never once saw a rooster killed to get hens to lay more. The plants in the pictures are part of the food chain, I will never mourn the demise of a rat or a mosquito!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Firelily99, I'm not a big fan of rats and mosquitoes either, but seeing them suffer like this breaks my heart:( They're nasty, but it's not their fault.
Zigs, I always buy free range eggs too and I've never found any chickens in them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Chicken lay eggs because the are ovulating. I worked on a farm and never once saw a rooster killed to get hens to lay more.

Not on a normal farm they wouldn't, this was part of factory farming, the chicks get put on a conveyor belt to be sexed, the males are no good for egg production so they get dropped straight into a shredder, horrific.

Reaction score
I'm thinking that its probably time to introduce another amazing plant - that isn't carnivorous :D

Although this plant is still very rare and only the black one still grows in the wild, it is slowly becoming a much sought after collectors plant and you may well have seen it on display in various Botanical Gardens around the World.

Tacca Chantrieri otherwise known as The Bat Flower, The Devil Flower or Cats Whiskers -

strange White Bat Flower Tacca integrifolia 051_small.jpg

strange white bat (4).jpg

Strange plant black bat.jpg

Taking a look at this last picture - I think you would agree that this plant is truly exquisite :) and really quite beautiful, as well as amazing, particularly as the flowers can reach up to 12 inches in diameter and the whiskers can grow anywhere between 2 to 3 foot in length.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You're right, we did wander a bit off topic there :D

Amazing plant (y)

Ask a Question