Strange but Amazing Plants

Reaction score
The world is full of plants that have some truly wonderful ways of managing to survive, but there are some that are just that bit more amazing than others.
This thread is devoted to some of the Worlds most amazing examples, of plants that have managed to survive by adapting in some truly extraordinary ways, some of which are incredibly strange or downright bizarre but many are also very beautiful like the one princess-bubblegum asked to be identified - the Pelican Flower or Aristolochia Grandiflora

or Rafflesia Arnoldii

strange plants rafflesia.jpg

which is said to be one of the largest flowers in the world , although it takes some time to develop, it can easily grow up to a meter in diameter and weigh 11 kilos, the few people who have encountered this plant say that it resembles the smell of decomposing flesh.

The Rat Eating Plant - Nepenthes Attenboroughii

Strange plants rat eater.jpg

strange rat eating 1.jpg

This plant was found in the Philippines and was named after David Attenborough and is one of the strangest and most amazing plants in the World, as it is believed to be the only meat eating plant and is apparently capable of luring, eating and digesting rats, as you can see in the bottom picture-

The Fly Paper Plant - Pinguieula gigantea

strange plant flypaper.jpg

They say not to get too close to or touch this plant because it grabs hold of anything and everything that lands on its
leaves, and starts digesting them immediately. It is apparently an excellent plant for trapping mosquitoes.

The Corpse Plant - Amorphopallus

strange plants corpse-flower-picture-11.jpg

strange plants_corpse-flower.jpg

This amazing plant is thought to be the tallest in the World and is called the Corpse Plant because if anyone gets close to it - it mimics the smell of decomposing flesh - so I dread to think what that person in the picture was having to endure whilst the photo was being taken :D and just in case any one should ask Amorphophallus means - ' shapeless male genitalia' .

I'm sure that after seeing these pictures, many of you will agree there is some truly amazing plant life in the world and hope that you will all help to make this thread grow, by adding further examples of strange but truly amazing plants.

Reaction score
Yikes! I feel sorry for that rat in the third picture :( I'm not a big fan of rats, but that gotta be a really bad way to go. This is an incredibly interesting thread tho :) I had read about the corprse plant before, but never seen pictures of the others. Those plants are indeed interesting :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Like Trellum, I feel very sorry for that rat. Poor thing! It's heartbreaking to think what happened to him.
Most of those plants are really scary! I defintely wouldn't want to grow them in my garden. I find carnivorous plants especially awful, nature can be so unbelievably cruel sometimes!

Reaction score
I like the pictures. I have never seen any of these flowers before.

Incredible, how much our world has to offer. There is beauty surrounding us everywhere.

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen those plants before. I admire their grandeur! They're amazing! Nature is amazing and sometimes cruel, but that's what makes it wonderful.

Reaction score
Like Trellum, I feel very sorry for that rat. Poor thing! It's heartbreaking to think what happened to him.
Most of those plants are really scary! I defintely wouldn't want to grow them in my garden. I find carnivorous plants especially awful, nature can be so unbelievably cruel sometimes!

Creepy, isn't it? I think you can find in some stores some of those small plants that can attract and eat flies. I know someone who has one, but the plant doesn't seem very active!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Creepy, isn't it? I think you can find in some stores some of those small plants that can attract and eat flies. I know someone who has one, but the plant doesn't seem very active!
My boyfriend had a carnivorous plant when he was a child. I don't think it's something for me. Maybe it's silly, but it really breaks my heart when I think of dying little insects. On the other hand, it makes me sad when I think of starving plants:(
I believe that the world would be a better place if we were all vegetarians and if animals and plants were vegetarians too:)

Reaction score
I am glad that some of you are finding these strange and very unusual plants interesting, and although in our eyes some of their survival methods are a little cruel, they are nevertheless truly amazing ,especially considering that they are hardly ever seen by man, let alone nurtured by him.

On the subject of carnivorous plants - these plants are always found growing in soils that lack any form of nutrients, and because of that, they can't obtain the necessary nutrients they need in order to survive, from the soil, so in order to survive, their survival mechanism kicks in and they eat insects instead, to provide them with the necessary nutrients that are lacking in the soil.

I've not come across many people who haven't swatted a mosquito, a fly or some other kind of insect, at some time or other during their life, so whats the problem with a plant killing a fly, mosquito or other type of insect ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good post Gata.

Anyone remember Gary Larson's Venus Kid Trap?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've not come across many people who haven't swatted a mosquito, a fly or some other kind of insect, at some time or other during their life, so whats the problem with a plant killing a fly, mosquito or other type of insect ?
Actually, I've never swatted any flies, mosquitoes nor any other insects. I really haven't. Don't get me wrong, I don't like them, I'm scared of most of them, but I really don't want to see them suffer and die. They're tiny and ugly, but they can feel pain. So I couldn't grow any carnivorous plants, because just thinking of them is enough to make me sad.

Reaction score
My boyfriend had a carnivorous plant when he was a child. I don't think it's something for me. Maybe it's silly, but it really breaks my heart when I think of dying little insects. On the other hand, it makes me sad when I think of starving plants:(
I believe that the world would be a better place if we were all vegetarians and if animals and plants were vegetarians too:)

Oh yeah, I often think of going vegan or at least consume kosher meats (meat from animals that haven't been cruelty slaughtered). They say it does affect the meat of an animal when it dies that way. Not sure how true is that... but I do feel bad from time to time for eating meat :( I also feel bad for those little bugs :( Nature can be so cruel! I still wonder if is really necessary for those plants to eat living things? I mean... most plants do very well wirth just some sun and water :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
There is no such thing as humane slaughter. All animals are terrified before dying. I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years, it's not hard:)
As for carnivorous plants, I'm afraid they have to eat bugs to survive:( It's the same with most animals, they need meat, there is no other option for them. If you grew a sundew for example, you would have to feed it with insects, otherwise it would die:(

Reaction score
I have heard of the Corpse plant before but none of the other ones. I also feel sorry for the poor rat in the photo. I wonder if the plant ever catches any other prey by mistake?

Reaction score
There is no such thing as humane slaughter. All animals are terrified before dying. I've been a vegetarian for more than 20 years, it's not hard:)
As for carnivorous plants, I'm afraid they have to eat bugs to survive:( It's the same with most animals, they need meat, there is no other option for them. If you grew a sundew for example, you would have to feed it with insects, otherwise it would die:(

I guess you're right, I mean, killing is still killing, right? Even if it's done in a ''kosher'' way... I'm not sure how that whole process is, but I've heard is way more calm than then usual one. They say the true kosher way is going vegan :D But going vegan is way harder than going vegetarian, that whould be a whole new think to me, but sometimes I think I could go vegan one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I guess you're right, I mean, killing is still killing, right? Even if it's done in a ''kosher'' way... I'm not sure how that whole process is, but I've heard is way more calm than then usual one. They say the true kosher way is going vegan :D But going vegan is way harder than going vegetarian, that whould be a whole new think to me, but sometimes I think I could go vegan one day.
To be honest, I don't understand people who go vegan. Vegetarians give up on meat because they don't want any animals to be killed because of them. But why give up on eggs, honey and milk?
I wish there was a way to encourage carnivorous plants to become vegetarians;)

Ask a Question