Strange Plant in my Yard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I found another strange plant in my yard when I was cutting down dead sunflowers. What's weird is that it has orange patches on the leaves, but only the top leaves.

The plant is just under a meter tall (~3ft tall) and it has many branches growing out from the main stem. You can see the orange patches, which are only on the top leaves and there are some flowers, which are very small (seems like the fly was liking the flowers). And there are some berry-looking fruit, so I'll allow them to mature and see what likes to eat them.

Any idea what this plant is?

P.S. I did a google search for plants with orange on the top leaves, but google only wanted to show me plants with orange flowers:banghead:

002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
009.JPG
012.JPG

This is a sample picture of a leaf cluster underneath the very top of the plant, note there is absolutely no orange and the leaves seem to have a different shape:wacky: Also there seems to be some buds forming...I'll have to keep an eye on those...

007.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The orange patches are coloured petaloid bracts (or similar). They are to guide pollinators to the tiny flowers in the centre. Poinsettias are well known plants with this method of advertisement
Not sure what this one is though.. Are there wild poinsettias in your part of the world?
Edited Try Euphorbia cyathophora.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The orange patches are coloured petaloid bracts (or similar). They are to guide pollinators to the tiny flowers in the centre. Poinsettias are well known plants with this method of advertisement
Not sure what this one is though.. Are there wild poinsettias in your part of the world?
Edited Try Euphorbia cyathophora.
That's exactly what it is -- Wild Poinsettia:geek:

Specifically, it's this: Euphorbia cyathophora
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=EUCY

Looks like it will fit well into my little habitat zone, it's even a host plant for the Ello Sphinx Moth http://butterflies.heuristron.net/plants/poinsettia.html

Ask a Question