Stone Crop -when is it to dry?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
This year I added the Stonecrop ground cover to an area that is very rocky and hard to get anything to grow in. The soil itself is very good but I am concerned that it might be to dry for this plant as it is close to a cement driveway that heats up quite a bit in the summer. Its a shame because it seems it did good this year but I have to admit I put it in very late in the season, my thought was the area is like a rock garden, just not all that rocky, Did I make a huge mistake?

Reaction score
Not at all - in fact quite the opposite - as the low growing or creeping varieties of Stonecrop or Sedum are a very popular choice for areas such as yours - as well as roof gardens too - due to the fact that they are virtually indestructible and thrive on total neglect with very little soil or water even in the hottest of conditions and although some do like a little bit of shade - the majority love basking in really intense sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
You would think they are indestructible Gata, I tried some stone crop in my actual stone garden, well its an area of the garden island that has a stone ledge. It comes back every year but it really is not thriving. It's a shame because I thought it would be the perfect solution and look great overhanging the ledge. The sweet woodruff did good, and in the spring the stonecrop starts and then just fizzles out. Do you think there could be something eating it? maybe the rabbits or ground hog?

Reaction score
I don't think it very likely that you Sedum is being eaten by rabbits or ground hogs - as - although most animals will absolutely anything if really hungry - Sedum is normally regarded as plant species that very few animals will actually eat and if anything the rabbits and the groundhogs would have much preferred to munch on your Sweet Woodruff - as they love that - as to them its a really tasty treat.

I do however wonder - as Sweet Woodruff generally thrives in moist shady conditions - if perhaps your low growing Sedum is getting more moisture than it needs - particularly as excess moisture and fertilizer are more often than not what can cause Sedum not to thrive and sometimes even be the cause of its untimely demise.

The only other reason I can think of at present - is that perhaps the variety you have may not be suited to the growing conditions its trying to survive in - especially as its very rare for low growing or creeping Sedum to be anything other than totally indestructible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Succulent groundcover Stonecrops that would thrive in USDA Zone 5a (120º F/-29º C) would include various species of the genera Hylotelephium, Orostachys, Petrosedum, Phedimus, and Sedum. Some would be dormant in Winter, while other might stay partly evergreen. All would grow best in situations of full to part sun and in soil with good drainage.
While quite drought-tolerant they would need some Summer irrigation during extended periods without rain.

Ask a Question