What to do with stones?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
As I continue to till my new gardens I am turning up hundreds of stones that range in size from golf balls to baseballs. Most of these are beautiful Granite and some are very round. As my pile increases a lot every time I work in the garden or flower beds, I am perplexed as what to do with them. They are far too nice to just rebury or discard. The larger boulders are going to go on top of mounds with Moss Roses planted among them. I have done this in the past with very good results. The smaller ones I am at a loss to find a use for. Does anyone have any ideas or pictures that might inspire me?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about a rockery? .. I am thinking along that vein. I have a big hole in the garden and can't possibly buy cement to fill the hole. I am thinking of covering it up and plant some nasty but beautiful pyracanthus, mahonia, yucca or even a patch just for stinging nettles so that I don't have to buy chemical fertiliser.

upload_2017-12-12_19-28-54.jpeg

images

images

Would love to see some of your beautiful granite stones.. They can be so beautiful. I wish I had them. All I can dig up is slabs, bricks ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How about a rockery? .. I am thinking along that vein. I have a big hole in the garden and can't possibly buy cement to fill the hole. I am thinking of covering it up and plant some nasty but beautiful pyracanthus, mahonia, yucca or even a patch just for stinging nettles so that I don't have to buy chemical fertiliser.

View attachment 30426

images

images

Would love to see some of your beautiful granite stones.. They can be so beautiful. I wish I had them. All I can dig up is slabs, bricks ..

Alp, as soon as I get back to North Carolina I will take some pictures. Thanks for your pics of the rockeries. That is what I plan on doing with the larger rocks and I planned on all Moss Roses but seeing the beauty of variety has got me thinking.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha As soon as I see silentrunningtread here I quickly looked to see if Zigs had posted yet:) I new the Zigman would have an idea or Too:D

silentrunning If you don't know what to do just throw them under a hedge & maybe Zigs will see it and build a wall one Day (y).... But surely there are a Million things you can do with a pile of Stones, from using them in pond filter systems or throwing them in with your cement mix to cut down on costs & for aesthetics around ponds etc. to putting them round plants to depress weeds. I dug up loads Of stones & ended up making a path. Bricks, Slabs, Stones, They all went in
P1030942.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I love areas of rock garden, small and large. I have a simple rock ring around a native sage and I think it's really cool. I would love to have enough to make a retaining way, simple in design and construction to highlight the rock. Also would love a few big boulders in the front yard.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha As soon as I see silentrunningtread here I quickly looked to see if Zigs had posted yet:) I new the Zigman would have an idea or Too:D

silentrunning If you don't know what to do just throw them under a hedge & maybe Zigs will see it and build a wall one Day (y).... But surely there are a Million things you can do with a pile of Stones, from using them in pond filter systems or throwing them in with your cement mix to cut down on costs & for aesthetics around ponds etc. to putting them round plants to depress weeds. I dug up loads Of stones & ended up making a path. Bricks, Slabs, Stones, They all went in View attachment 30427

Daren, very nice indeed! When can you start working for me? Hehe! Can't really afford you. But that's a nice piece of work ..

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If rocks are pretty when they are dry, they are beautiful when wet! (y) It brings out the colors, and makes them look polished.

You could put them under your downspouts.

th
. . .
th

You might be able to use the smaller ones to make stone rain chains, and get rid of your downspouts altogether. :unsure:

th
. . .
th

th
. . .
th

Bees and butterflies need access to fresh water, maybe use the stones to build a small water feature. (The stones work as landing pads.:LOL:.)

th
. . .
th

th
. . .
th

Or a not so small water feature!! :D

th
. . .
th

th
. . .
th

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I see a couple of ideas I could easily incorporate in my new landscape.

Whatever you decide to do, remember, we love pictures around here! :whistle: ;)

Would love to see some of your beautiful granite stones.. They can be so beautiful.

I would like to see them, too. (y) I collect pretty rocks. :)

Ask a Question