stink bugs and moles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So are stink bugs really hard shelled big bugs then? I have never seen one and I am quite intrigued. I could see how you would not want to squish them if they smell when crushed. What do they do to your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm glad that we don't have moles here. I usually see the cartoons of Bugs Bunny where moles would steal his carrots. But in reality, moles are actually pests that ruins the garden. That was what I had read in one article. For pests like mice and rats, we don't have moles here but we have rodents, the farmers use poison or traps. With poison, it is more effective.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So are stink bugs really hard shelled big bugs then? I have never seen one and I am quite intrigued. I could see how you would not want to squish them if they smell when crushed. What do they do to your garden?
They eat all the plants. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of plant it is. And they work really quickly, too.

I
stink bug.jpeg

Reaction score
I hate stinkbugs, they are so gross! They have always loved that big pine tree we have in our garden, there are loads of them there. As a kid I grew thinking they were part of that ecosystem, it was later when i found out they shouldn't even be there. I stepped on some of them and killed some by mistake while playing around that tree (so gross!!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They eat all the plants. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of plant it is. And they work really quickly, too.

I View attachment 7932
I think I have actually seen one of those before, or a serious look alike. It was in my bathroom a couple of years ago and had an extremely hard shell. I examined it for a few minutes because I had never seen anything like it before. Then I took it outside and released it eventually.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate stinkbugs, they are so gross! They have always loved that big pine tree we have in our garden, there are loads of them there. As a kid I grew thinking they were part of that ecosystem, it was later when i found out they shouldn't even be there. I stepped on some of them and killed some by mistake while playing around that tree (so gross!!).
I didn't know about the ecosystem! Do you know off hand, where they DO belong? I hate them so much. I'd rather have to deal with lions, or tigers, or bears in my garden. (see what I did there with the Wizard of Oz reference, and my pic?). At least then I could see exactly what I'm up against.

Reaction score
I didn't know about the ecosystem! Do you know off hand, where they DO belong? I hate them so much. I'd rather have to deal with lions, or tigers, or bears in my garden. (see what I did there with the Wizard of Oz reference, and my pic?). At least then I could see exactly what I'm up against.

Do they get into your house too? We had a big problem with them some years ago because we started seeing them inside the house D: Now you can imagine the horror in our faces when I suddenly realized there was a stink bug calmly walking over my leg.... UGH! I wanted to set that tree in fire, lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
lmao I would freak out, and most likely kill it. I get one in the house maybe once or twice a year. Its just a fluke when it happens. They prefer to feast on my garden instead :p

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anybody give me any advice on getting rid of stink bugs and moles? I have managed to keep deer, bunnies, and anything else out. I just can't seem to get rid of the moles and stink bugs... and I'm going tout of my mind!!

Oh my goodness the stink bugs drive me crazy...not outside though. They come in in the winter and they fly all over the place. Nothhing likes them and nothing that I have found so far eats them, not even the spiders we get sometimes. I run them up in the vacuum cleaner. I also pick them up and throw them back outside. Don't ever squish them or scare them or you will know why they are called stink bugs!
I have moles too, they are supposed to eat worms. I have many cats and a couple of them will jump on the mole hills and find them or scare them away. I hate walking in my yard too. Those tunnels are everywhere. I live on the west side of a forested mountain and they love it here and so do many other creatures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well drat! I was hoping someone had come up with a good method for getting rid of stink bugs!! :cry: I have tried hand-picking, shop vaccing (is that even a word?), stomping, yelling, pepper/garlic/soap/dead bug concoctions, and more. They always end up eating every vine plant in the garden and more. I am so frustrated I haven't even grown anything they might eat in the last few years.

I believe that like our bodies, healthy, nourished soil will keep pests away. We have been mulching, naturally fertilizing, and remineralizing our soil like crazy the last few years. I suppose I will try a squash plant again this year and see what happens. Hopefully I won't be carried away in a straight jacket! It flips my lid to see a large herd of squash bugs sucking the life out of a squash plant full of beautiful baby squashes!

Ask a Question