Stinky garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The other night we had a really good rain fall after not having one in a while. I walked out onto the back patio, where we have a few flower bushes, and smelled a strong odor of cat pee or something that smelled like it. Does anyone know if it probably was pee, or something about the rainfall on the garden that would produce a similar smell?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The other night we had a really good rain fall after not having one in a while. I walked out onto the back patio, where we have a few flower bushes, and smelled a strong odor of cat pee or something that smelled like it. Does anyone know if it probably was pee, or something about the rainfall on the garden that would produce a similar smell?
About the only thing that will give off an ammonia smell in the garden is too much green stuff in your compost pile releasing nitrogen. Did you by any chance mow the lawn before the rain? Otherwise if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and smells like a duck, it is probably cat pee

Reaction score
Cat pee has a very distinctive odor that goes beyond the ammonia smell, it has that musky cat smell to. If it smells like cat pee I'd bet that a cat has found your garden.

Reaction score
I often notice a strong smell of, what I associate with squashed stink bugs, after heavy rain fall. I quite like the smell. It reminds me of something I can't quite define.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have had a little more rainfall now since this last post and the smell seems to have disapated some. It was so gross that I had to share it with everyone. There is no compost pile near this particular garden so I imagine that a cat had been hanging around marking his or her territory!

Ask a Question