Cannibus Plants Stink!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Washington legalized marijuana a couple of years ago and since then indoor farms have popped up just about everywhere. You can tell when you walk by a warehouse in which the plants are growing because of the horrendous pungent sour smell they produce. Am I the only one who hates the smell?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Depends on the strain people are growing haha. Pot can range from smelling like dirty socks (hence the term skunk weed) to fresh cut grass (hence the term grass). Even prior to the legalization in WA, I lived in the U District area where lots of people smoked pot. (Never was interested in smoking it myself but it's hard to ignore the smell in a college area.) It's amazing how wide of a range the plant has as far as scent goes. But yeah generally I hate the smell of skunk pot since it's disgusting, but the other strains that have a more floral/fresh cut grass scent aren't as bad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what it smells like. Growing it here is illegal:(
But I have a bottle of cannabis oil and it smells really nice, like fresh cut grass.

Reaction score
Oh now you get an idea what down town Amsterdam kinda smells like :p I'd say Amsterdam smells worse, but you'd need to be there to really tell the difference. Most of that area smells like that thing, it smells much worse when someone is smoking it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Cereus I absolutely love how you summed up some of the types of marijuana and the smells. That's pretty accurate. The first couple of times I smelled it I also thought it was just 'green and musky'. I do, however, like the smell of the smoke. I don't smoke it myself but I think it has a nice herbal fragrance hat mellows out after it clings to your clothes. I'm just weird like that.

Reaction score
California has not made marijuana entirely legal, but it is medically legal. When you have your medical recommendation, you are allowed so many plants to grow at home. Every once in a while I will pass by someone's home and you can really smell the aroma. You can tell the difference between a plant and someone smoking as well. The plant is much more fragrant than the smoke itself at times.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes @alexiskilgannon, as pointed out, the plant itself has a very nice, 'herbal' kind of aroma. It's difficult for me to say exactly what it smells like, but it's not pungent at all. Matter of fact there are different types of marijuana plants that are very nice smelling with fragrances you might find even in a shampoo or body wash. It's the dried, crushed leaves that may smell skunky for some.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do not think the plant itself stinks until it is in flowering stage. Even then, it doesn't smell as bad as it does when it is being burned. There are different strands that are more "skunky" than most. I am not against the legalization of marijuana at all. I feel that medically, it has some amazing properties that will change the way we will look at a lot of illnesses and disease. Most growers are probably low budget and aren't aware that there are carbon filters and such that will pipe out the smell from the plants and filter it out of the building with no smell at all. It is all about how much money you have to put into the grow. If you do it right, no one should ever smell what you are doing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I still have to see a real marijuana plant or even the weed for smoking. But based on what I had read and what my friends told me, a burning marijuana exudes a sweet aroma that is far from unpleasant. But I have not read about the smell of the marijuana's flower. I think it is too far fetched for marijuana in the garden to be legally accepted here but if it becomes legal, I will plant some just for my curiosity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I still have to see a real marijuana plant or even the weed for smoking. But based on what I had read and what my friends told me, a burning marijuana exudes a sweet aroma that is far from unpleasant. But I have not read about the smell of the marijuana's flower. I think it is too far fetched for marijuana in the garden to be legally accepted here but if it becomes legal, I will plant some just for my curiosity.

To a weed smoker it smells sweet but for those who are not smokers... it stinks. There are certain varieties that also stink regardless. The one that stands out in my mind the most is named because of the way it smells, Skunk Weed. It all depends on the person mostly though. I used to be a smoker and I liked the way it smelled. Now it all stinks to me and actually makes me sick to my stomach. I have nothing against it, I just don't seem to like it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am not sure how anyone could think of the smell as sweet at all. I think it smells sour and putrid. That is just me though. I am one of those that the smell makes me sick to my stomach as well. I am not against it, or against those who use it, it is just not for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
Am I the only one who hates the smell?
No. I do not like it.

I am not sure how anyone could think of the smell as sweet at all.
Beer, coffee, mate all taste horrible... There are people who say it is good because they have acquired taste.

I drink coffee, and with the right conditions I can tolerate it... But does it actually taste good? I don't think so.

Maybe the same logic can be applied for people who like the odor of cigarettes and weed.

Ask a Question