Stinkhorn fungus

Reaction score
Last year my mulch beds became seriously infected with stinkhorn fungus - orange shaped. My wife and I called them "lawn peni". We dug them up whenever we saw them, but had no luck in making them go away. This year I finally removed all the mulch from half my flower beds and replaced it entirely, hoping it won't come back. In the front of my house, I still have the old mulch and can't afford the time/money right now to finish off the job. Does anybody know of any surefire way of getting rid of these things?

Reaction score
Oh those stink so bad. I had a compose pile, mostly full of wood and they took over. I think it has a lot to do with the kind of mulch. I think they like the acidity, I had a lot in my pine mulch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Stinkhorns (Phallaceae) are a family of basidiomycete fungi that feed on decaying plant matter. Different Stinkhorns come in amazing variety of bizarre sculptural shapes and many are partly brightly coloured in tones of orange, pink, or red. They also often produce various types of foul odor when releasing spores. All these adaptations are to encourage spore dispersal by species of Flies (Diptera), Beetles (Coleoptera), and other insects that feed on carcasses and/or dung.

Like most other detritivore fungi, Stinkhorns are beneficial for creating compost and enriching garden soil. Do not try to remove all organic matter from your garden or apply fungicides of any sort to the soil. If the odor of the fungus fruiting bodies (the visible 'mushrooms or 'horns' of the fungus) is very strong and annoying, just remove those particular fruiting bodies. You can bury them in the compost or soil to prevent the odor from drifting in the air. Often the smell, isn't that bad unless you are very close to to the stinkhorns.

Actually, stinkhorns are fascinating to look at, and worth a close view, regardless of the odor. I still remember the first time I saw a Lattice Stinkhorn (Clathrus ruber). At first, I thought someone had thrown a lattice-crust cherry pie on the ground, but a cherry pie that smelled like rotten fish!?
Clathrus_ruber(fs-04).jpg

Ask a Question