Sterling Silver Brunnera

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome! :) ...... Plant Brunnera in shady places, it doesn't like full sun. Watch out for vine weevils eating the roots. No idea about deer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome :) This is one of the few bigger-leafed plants I've bought so I wondered about slugs/ snails... I've seen Brunnera listed as "deer resistant" (and the leaves do have a slightly fuzzy feel) but references have been mixed so I thought I'd check for others' experience... Planned to put this in a shady area under 40 yr old magnolia, hetzi juniper, and ligustrum (but if there are apt to be any maintenance issues I might just put it in a container... :shame: )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think container planting is just a load of unnecessary work, and it gives snails and slugs even more places to hide. If the odd slug or snail manages to get in, at least the plants have a good chance of re-growing. If I were that worried I would go into the garden as it gets dark and pick off any culprits to put in my salt pot. Don't use slug pellets - they kill birds and just attract more slugs!
You can turn pots etc upside down to put around the garden near your plants. This gives them a place to hide up during the day, and a good place too to go and collect them for disposal :giggle:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Again, thank you for replying. Container planting is a necessity for me if I want to have plants that the deer and I both love :) (Happily they don't forage up on my deck...) I've not had to deal with snails or slugs in the garden [or in my containers] so I'm not very experienced there - lucky thing too, because I'm a squeamish gardener. (Your idea about going out in the dark to "pick off any culprits" made me smile... I'd probably decimate the plants with my trowel :ninja: 🙃)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Again, thank you for replying. Container planting is a necessity for me if I want to have plants that the deer and I both love :) (Happily they don't forage up on my deck...) I've not had to deal with snails or slugs in the garden [or in my containers] so I'm not very experienced there - lucky thing too, because I'm a squeamish gardener. (Your idea about going out in the dark to "pick off any culprits" made me smile... I'd probably decimate the plants with my trowel :ninja: 🙃)
The job doesn't bother me, but you could always wear rubber gloves. We have had a plague of slugs, especially during the wet weather.

Ask a Question