elaeagnus Silverberry disease

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I was pruning my plants today and noticed the silverberry (which I have not touched for a couple 6-8 months) has some white stuff on the leaf. I immediately cut half of the bush out that looks “infected” for plant one, and noticed similar but not as severe look on the other 2 in the same row. Those plants are 1 year old. The thing looks like white tiny dots on top, which is almost dried water spot / salt size / scales / mealy bug looking. The odd thing is I don’t think it is mealy bug / aphids because they don’t move. It is not powdery mold either. It looks closer to mealy bug and when I fold the leaf, it has lines of jel looking lines between the leaf like threads.

I have sprayed the plant with neem oil, though it just start raining heavily now.

The white thing is closer to the ground branch near the center where it is concentrated with leaves.

I butchered all 3 plants so it is extremely “airy” now.

Any idea what other disease it could be? I tried Google but I cannot find a lead on this.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you please post a photo of this problem?

1615820935880.png
If it`s like this, that`s how it`s supposed to be.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those look like scale insects to me. I think you did the right thing pruning this out. Burn the prunings! Watch carefully for more of these insects, and you can use alcohol or methylated spirit to get rid. Good luck :)

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you.

I have cut out more than half of the branch that day. Neem oil were applied too but then it rained heavily that night. Applied soap water spray yesterday morning after finding more. Cut more branches this morning. Consistent only the lower branches in the core middle trunk of the plant has it. I hope the plants can survived.

The cut branches are in the recycle bin waiting for next week collection...
No tin container to burn here :(. Probably spray with bleach after...

Those look like scale insects to me. I think you did the right thing pruning this out. Burn the prunings! Watch carefully for more of these insects, and you can use alcohol or methylated spirit to get rid. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found a really bad case of scale on my Eleagnus. I chopped the whole lot off and burnt it, leaving just a few stumps in the ground. It looked awful for a while, but after a couple of years, and regular checking it`s almost back to where it was ....there`s always hope - it just takes time :happy:

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States

I found a really bad case of scale on my Eleagnus. I chopped the whole lot off and burnt it, leaving just a few stumps in the ground. It looked awful for a while, but after a couple of years, and regular checking it`s almost back to where it was ....there`s always hope - it just takes time :happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rbissoon29

Latest Threads