Need help for my Philodendron Hastatum (Silver Sword)

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi I need help with my Philodendron Hastatum (Silver Sword). There have been small, random brown-colourless(?) spots on the leaves and these just keep happening even when I try to remove the leaves with those spots. Not all the leaves seem to be infected, but I notice that the spots would appear on the bottom leaves of the plant. It has been many months now, and I even tried to change the soil mix recently and checked for pests but could find no issues regarding the soil mix or any pests.

I also notice that new leaves are smaller and initially thought that there could be an issue of overcrowding, so I separated some of the stalks into two separate pots for more room to grow. Photos are attached below.

Also, here's my care routine for the plant:
  • Watering - I water the plant around every 2 weeks WHEN the top soil mix is dry (I check all my plants frequently to make sure I don't over or under water)
  • Light - I place the plant at an area with moderate indirect light
  • Cleaning - I read that the leaves are sensitive to water, so I always make sure that I wipe the leaves with alcohol-FREE wipes whenever I mist the plants and I also clean the leaves using the same method once every week.

This is one of my favourite plants and I'm really sad about what's happening to it. :( Please help me out and thank you for your time.

Attachments

• photo1647403916 (2).jpeg
    photo1647403916 (2).jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 24
  • photo1647403916 (1).jpeg
    photo1647403916 (1).jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 24
  • photo1647403916.jpeg
    photo1647403916.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the forums.

The spots on your Philodendron hastata 'Silver Sword' appear to be some type of bacterial or fungal infection. You have already tried many of the first-line efforts used to control such pathogens. I'm doubtful that wiping the leaves with sterilizing wipes is a good idea. it could even interfere with normal, healthy microbes found on leaf surfaces. What chemicals are in the non-alcohol wipes?

Consider taking a cuttings from asymptomatic new growth and growing it separately form the parent plant. Possibly, the new plant may not develop the disease.

At this point, you might consider a controlled, one-time use of a systemic fungicide. This should be done in conjuncion with safety precautions, proper sanitation, and ideal care.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Greetings, welcome to the forums.

The spots on your Philodendron hastata 'Silver Sword' appear to be some type of bacterial or fungal infection. You have already tried many of the first-line efforts used to control such pathogens. I'm doubtful that wiping the leaves with sterilizing wipes is a good idea. it could even interfere with normal, healthy microbes found on leaf surfaces. What chemicals are in the non-alcohol wipes?

Consider taking a cuttings from asymptomatic new growth and growing it separately form the parent plant. Possibly, the new plant may not develop the disease.

At this point, you might consider a controlled, one-time use of a systemic fungicide. This should be done in conjuncion with safety precautions, proper sanitation, and ideal care.

Hi Marck,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, I am deeply appreciative. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what are the chemicals contained (if any) in the non-alcohol wipes and that is my bad. I often read up that cleaning the leaves of some plants are important (for plants with leaves that are sensitive to water, e.g., not allowing the water to sit on the leaves, etc.) and most people seem to do it by wiping the leaves to clean them off from dust. This excludes plants with leaves that can just be washed together during their watering. So I'm wondering if you know there is a safer way for me to clean my plants without using any wet-wipes?

I also have another question. Do you know what might be possible causes for bacterial/fungi to grow on the plants? :(

Once again, thanks so much for your help! Your responses are so helpful for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try letting the plant just air-dry after watering. You might choose to place the plant in asomewhat sunnier or breezier area if you feel that stagnant, damp conditions are contributing to ill health. If grown indoors air flow can be increased with an electric fan.

Sometimes, the presence of a plant disease can be attributed to poor culture, but not always.
Other times, a plant is just susceptible, regardless of care.

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Try letting the plant just air-dry after watering. You might choose to place the plant in asomewhat sunnier or breezier area if you feel that stagnant, damp conditions are contributing to ill health. If grown indoors air flow can be increased with an electric fan.

Sometimes, the presence of a plant disease can be attributed to poor culture, but not always.
Other times, a plant is just susceptible, regardless of care.
Thank you so much for your time and helpful tips :)

Ask a Question