Star jasmine plant - black dots in flowers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've noticed lots of tiny black dots or bugs on my star jasmine flower buds. Also lots on ants who seem interested in the black dots/ bugs.

It's a new plant, I've only had it a week and the flowers are turning brown and wilting.

any ideas what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cover the soil and take it outside and spray it off with water. Knock off all those bugs with water if you can't go outside then take it to the shower. Use plastic to cover the soil and wash them off and then check back and let us know.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It would be good to see photographs of the insects, but it sounds like your Star-jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides, Apocynaceae) is infested with Aphids (Aphididae, Homoptera) and that the Aphids may be being farmed and protected by Ants (Formicidae, Hymenoptera). It is interesting that you only had the plant a week and ants have already begun to manage Aphids on the plant. Of course, insects do act quickly when a desired resource is made available. Another possibility is that there is an already active ant colony in the plant container. Investigate to see if this is so. if it is destruction of the colony and repotting would be necessary.

As mentioned in the previous post, do hose off as many aphids and ants as possible. Follow this with a thorough application of insecticidal soap. Repeat both these steps as needed until the infestation is eradicated.

Ask a Question