Star Fruit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@grouie I love the photos of your star fruit tree and the fruits, of course. We have a star fruit tree that is in a big rubber pot. Last year it gave us fruits, about 10 pieces in 2 harvests. I wonder why it stops bearing fruit although it always have flowers. Is there a problem with fertilization? Insects have a heyday with those flowers so I guess that's not the problem. With fertilizers, it never goes hungry. Do you have any idea why the flowers don't turn into fruits?
If it has yielded before then may be now it does not get enough sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If it has yielded before then may be now it does not get enough sun.

My husband checked our star fruit this morning and said that it may be the excessive rains. Because the flowers, he said, are getting drenched in rain so maybe it fails to fertilize. He is thinking of trimming the branches to spike the tree in giving fruits. I don't really know about it because all I know is how to eat that star fruit which is so sweet and big too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My husband checked our star fruit this morning and said that it may be the excessive rains. Because the flowers, he said, are getting drenched in rain so maybe it fails to fertilize. He is thinking of trimming the branches to spike the tree in giving fruits. I don't really know about it because all I know is how to eat that star fruit which is so sweet and big too.
Not just start fruits many fruit trees do not yield in the rains. Now that you know about it it will yield when the time is right.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Not just start fruits many fruit trees do not yield in the rains. Now that you know about it it will yield when the time is right.

You are right on that. Now I realize that our mango tree would not bear fruit when the flowers get drenched by the rain. Mango farmers in the province spray their tree to induce them to bloom. But they are careful with the timing because they avoid the rainy season as much as possible. Sometimes we are thinking to put a big net as cover for our mango tree when it is blooming, at least to protect from being hit directly by the rains.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You are right on that. Now I realize that our mango tree would not bear fruit when the flowers get drenched by the rain. Mango farmers in the province spray their tree to induce them to bloom. But they are careful with the timing because they avoid the rainy season as much as possible. Sometimes we are thinking to put a big net as cover for our mango tree when it is blooming, at least to protect from being hit directly by the rains.
You did say that earlier this tree yielded but was it during the rain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I am most familiar with growing both star-fruit and mangoes in Miami, which gets a great deal of rain. I seem to remember hearing that mangoes don't grow very well in California, and I know that they do well in Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Both trees will grow in areas that are not warm enough for them to bear fruit.perhaps that is the problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
You did say that earlier this tree yielded but was it during the rain?

Our mango tree bore 2 fruits for this summer. But now that the rains had come, there is no chance that it will bear fruit. We are hoping that our mango tree will have blossoms in October when the rains have gone so the flowers can turn to fruits. It is all right when the smalle fruits are drenched by the rains. What's not good is when the flowers get wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am most familiar with growing both star-fruit and mangoes in Miami, which gets a great deal of rain. I seem to remember hearing that mangoes don't grow very well in California, and I know that they do well in Puerto Rico and Hawaii. Both trees will grow in areas that are not warm enough for them to bear fruit.perhaps that is the problem.

From what I know, mangoes grow only in tropical places and since California has 4 seasons, I don't think it will thrive there. Mangoes bear flowers when it gets enough heat that may have agitated its system. Planters here say that the tree should be stressed (with heat) so it will bear flowers. What planters normally do is burn dried leaves under the tree so the smoke will envelope the tree. That is a formula to make it flower.

Ask a Question