Our star fruit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We have a star fruit in a rubber container which we bought from a nursery. After some months, it bore some fruits. Once in a while there would be fruits but it is a longer time when there is no fruit. My husband is trying to discover what makes it bear fruit. Flowers are always there, it never runs out of flowers. My husband tried spraying the tree with insecticide. Lo and behold, small fruits appeared like magic. After a month when the fruits were getting bigger, he again sprayed it and it bore small fruits again. Every fruiting is about 3 to 4 fruits only.

But 3 weeks ago, it started to rain. Every day it rains for at least 1 hour. Now, we noticed it has so many small fruits like more than 20 which had never happened. Any opinion?

Here is the harvest I did last Monday....
IMG_1962 star fruit.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yum! I love starfruit! I tried to start my own starfruit plant, however, we had heavy rains and it killed it before I could get home from work to rescue it. I might make another attempt now that I am work from home agent. I've heard that sometimes it just needs a little nitrogen supplement to get oxygen to the roots to help with the fruit bearing process. I use a plant stimulant called Osmocote to help keep it healthy. It's a time released plant food that provides all of the necessary nutrients. I have had great luck with this so far. :) Good luck on getting more fruit and enjoy them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow I love starfruits and wish I could grow it here in NJ but doesn't seem possible with the zone difference. They look big and yummy. Probably much more yummier than the ones they sell in supermarkets around my area

Ask a Question