Star Fruit

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have this tree in my garden. It yields throughout the year. It is the favourite of parrots. Sometimes they will start feeding on them even when the fruits have just about shown up. The ground gets strewn with these tiny fruits. But if the parrots are busy elsewhere we are spared and we can see ripe fruits on the tree.
Star fruit gets its name 'star' as, the horizontally sliced fruit resembles the star.

Star fruit has many health properties

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/star-fruit.html

002.JPG
starfruikts4.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
When I lived in Miami I was lucky enough to have one of these trees. We are able to buy them locally (I live in central Florida now) and they are usually part of our diet. They go nicely in salads and juices.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When I lived in Miami I was lucky enough to have one of these trees. We are able to buy them locally (I live in central Florida now) and they are usually part of our diet. They go nicely in salads and juices.

The sad part is anything that is sour does not agree with me. I will see if I can boil them and then make a juice out of it. As when a sour fruit is boiled the sourness goes. Thanks for reminding me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I ate a star fruit only once, a few years ago. It was sliced and used as a decoration for my drink. Unfortunately, I don't remember what it tasted like.
The tree itself looks very pretty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ripe starfruits look delicious, and it is rare for me to find one that is sweet or look as good as yours here. Once in a while, they sell starfruit at our local fruits and vegetables market, but they are bruised and half dead already.

Reaction score
Wow, I had never seen a star fruit hanging front its tree before. I once had the chance to eat a start fruit before, but I was a dummy and said no. So no idea how they taste now, but must admit they do look very good! Must be wonderful to be able to grow so many trees full of exotic fruits :love:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I had a load of seedlings come up in a pot once, they were spaced as if i'd planted them, took me ages before I realised they were from the Starfruit i'd been eating :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Fascinating to see the star fruit tree. I have had the, I think once in a restaurant. They look so lovely as slices of stars. I must ask my local fruit and veg shop. This is only a village but they have a great stuff so if the star fruit is available here I'm sure they would get it in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wow, I had never seen a star fruit hanging front its tree before. I once had the chance to eat a start fruit before, but I was a dummy and said no. So no idea how they taste now, but must admit they do look very good! Must be wonderful to be able to grow so many trees full of exotic fruits :love:

I have many fruit trees but the problem now is what to do with the fruits (lol)

Reaction score
I have many fruit trees but the problem now is what to do with the fruits (lol)

What do they taste like? I have never tasted one, but for some reason I've always thought start fruits taste a bit like papaya? Am I wrong? have never tasted one. Maybe you guys can prepare a lot smoothies, hehehe or give some away to the neighbors?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
What do they taste like? I have never tasted one, but for some reason I've always thought start fruits taste a bit like papaya? Am I wrong? have never tasted one. Maybe you guys can prepare a lot smoothies, hehehe or give some away to the neighbors?

These fruits have a nice smell and are quite juicy, sweet and sour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
The sad part is anything that is sour does not agree with me. I will see if I can boil them and then make a juice out of it. As when a sour fruit is boiled the sourness goes. Thanks for reminding me.
When the fruit is ripe it is not sour. I really can't see boiling the fruit doing anything but destroying it. let the fruit ripen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
When the fruit is ripe it is not sour. I really can't see boiling the fruit doing anything but destroying it. let the fruit ripen.
This fruit is not new to me. Even when it is fully ripe it is not that sweet. The sourness is still there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@grouie I love the photos of your star fruit tree and the fruits, of course. We have a star fruit tree that is in a big rubber pot. Last year it gave us fruits, about 10 pieces in 2 harvests. I wonder why it stops bearing fruit although it always have flowers. Is there a problem with fertilization? Insects have a heyday with those flowers so I guess that's not the problem. With fertilizers, it never goes hungry. Do you have any idea why the flowers don't turn into fruits?

Ask a Question