Square foot gardening question

Reaction score
I already had a spot in my yard tilled and cultivated then I discovered the Square foot gardening books. I got one at a library and am interested in trying it. i dont have the resources to get all the supplies, but am wondering if i convert my already tilled garden area into squares (4x4), Can I still grow stuff in the normal soil if i fertilize it.

In other words, it would be like a regular garden soil, but compacted in the 4x4 squares, can i still do that? Would it have any other benifits as opposed to traditional gardening?

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this method before but I don't see why you can't use the squares to grow whatever it is you want to grow. You would know more about this than I do since you have been reading the books. It should be okay although I would plan on having the plants like squash on the outer edges.

Reaction score
ok thanks. It is a relativley new method. The book says begginners have better luck with this idea because oldschool gardeners are stuck in the 'old ways' Since I am a begginner I have no idea what I am getting into, except that I cant afford the official stuff that is all needed right now, so I was interested in the space saving aspects

Ask a Question