Garden Timelapse Footage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have a time lapse camera that goes 6/min from 5am to 9pm. (Happy Solstice!)
Check out the new vines/stems reaching/searching in the upper third of the frame.

If you look at the soil, you can see the 16hour life of it's roughly 30hour lifespan of the "Coprinopsis atramentaria" mushrooms.

A day in the life of my cucumber plant:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I filmed my tomatoes for 3 days and didn't get very good results...

I think the south side of my garden has pour drainage?
It seems the plants on the south side suffer a bit; my Basil, Orange Bell Pepper.
My neighbor gave me rooting powder that he instructed me to mix one teaspoon to a gallon of water, while shading the Bell Pepper from direct sunlight to recover it from shock.
It seemed to have worked, thus far...

Yet, my Bush Beans once had pretty healthy looking baby pods...
They used to flourish when I watered them twice a day.
However, since I began watering them once every other day, those pods have seemed to have perished. Perhaps I may water them more often now to revive what appeared to have worked?

Regardless, here is three days of my tomato plant:

(Any tips for a hot southern climate, such as Los Angeles, are greatly appreciated.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ah, brilliant. I must try this next year with my Bird of Paradise! Thank you for sharing!
WingScapes makes a pretty good camera... I was going to go with a GoPro, but went with this due to price.
However, the batteries can be an issue.
Yet, in all fairness, I'm pushing the camera to it's limits with it's highest quality (8MB) and fastest interval (Every 10 seconds.)

In all though, I'm very happy with it and it brings me great joy. It's easy to use and waterproof.
I am an video editor, so making the time lapse is quite easy, however, I think they offer a user-friendly program to use as well from their site.

I've found that Energizer batteries work best in my scenario, as I can get up to about 4-5 days of 16 hours worth of footage opposed to cheapo batteries from the dollar store which last two days, like Panasonic.

I also called WingScapes to see if I could use re-chargeable batteries (Metal Nickle-Hydride), but they said the product was only designed to use Alkaline and Lithium batteries; neither of which are rechargeable.
Albeit, they were super friendly and informative... they took time to talk to me and answer questions of varying scenarios to power my camera. (Example: Car batteries do not work as the amperage is too high.)
They do however, offer a battery pack which is basically a 12volt battery on a trickler in an ammo like/waterproof case for $70, in which you can easily replace the 12volt battery in "a month" when it dies from your hardware store for about $20.

You can also run AC power to it for far cheaper at $16, but with the traffic in my yard and water in my garden; I'm not too keen on running a steady voltage to my garden.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Crikey, it's an expensive hobby. I have a laser distance measurement gadget - fallen foul by a website called Hotukdeals. Quite a few times, I have been conned. Any way, we bought this thinking it is a good investment. Son told me that it would only accept non-rechargeable batteries. If we used rechargeable ones, it would scream BATTERY LOW! very quickly. I use a Panasonic camcorder and it has a reasonable lithium battery. If you do this on a regular basis, it might be better to use the gadget using lithium battery. Also, if it is interesting timelapsing on flowers like Bird of Paradise or Gloriosa, you could here a link so that viewers watch your videos on youtube and be counted for any monetary purpose. But let's put it this way, it is youtube which makes money. We are only having fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done again @Spool:)

It all amazes me...don't understand one bit of the technical stuff , I have trouble with taking pics on my tablet .....so won't attempt to comment!:D:ROFLMAO:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You certainly know your stuff @alp:)(y)

No, not really. I was caught out unable to delete bits on the software. My son would kungfu his way very quickly after snatching the mouse! Yes, I use a mouse! OOOooops, just show how much I know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
So does my hubs....he says it's the best! He can't cope with touch pad keyboards, it's only what you're use too though really (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Crikey, it's an expensive hobby. I have a laser distance measurement gadget - fallen foul by a website called Hotukdeals. Quite a few times, I have been conned. Any way, we bought this thinking it is a good investment. Son told me that it would only accept non-rechargeable batteries. If we used rechargeable ones, it would scream BATTERY LOW! very quickly. I use a Panasonic camcorder and it has a reasonable lithium battery. If you do this on a regular basis, it might be better to use the gadget using lithium battery. Also, if it is interesting timelapsing on flowers like Bird of Paradise or Gloriosa, you could here a link so that viewers watch your videos on youtube and be counted for any monetary purpose. But let's put it this way, it is youtube which makes money. We are only having fun!
Fun it is! I love it.
I think the Lithium batteries that are rechargeable are distinct as 'Lithium Ion' opposed to just 'Lithium'; they're very popular amongst modern day video/camera batteries.

Ask a Question