Sprouting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
3D printing technology doesn't sound too good to me:p. I'd much rather eat natural and delicious vegetables.
The sprouter is really useful, I hope you'll be able to purchase one too:) I think that I should have more of them, because I eat sprouts every day:love:

Reaction score
You don't have to use all the levels, you can leave some of them empty:). I never do this though, because I can eat unimaginable amounts of sprouts:p
To be honest, I totally forgot about GMO. I'm wondering if it really is unhealthy.

I've always said is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to GMOs. That's why I stay away from them, just in case what they say about them is true. I don't think they are very safe anyway. So we lose nothing avoiding them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've always said is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to GMOs. That's why I stay away from them, just in case what they say about them is true. I don't think they are very safe anyway. So we lose nothing avoiding them.
I guess you're right. But there are already so many things that I can't or shouldn't eat. I avoid gluten, preservatives, trans fats and a few others. Sometimes I feel that it would be the safest if we could eat only things that we grow on our own in our gardens:(

Reaction score
I feel the same, Claudine :( I actually feel concerned about the many things they sell at the grocery stores, not only veggies and fruits, but also other products. Wish the companies were more honest about the things they put in their products. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read cheerios used GMOs, but now they swear they don't! So yeah, cheerios now claims to be GMO's free... I had no idea Cheerios used GMOs for their production! And you know what? There is a big change they still use GMO's, because printing that on their boxes isn't illegal in the US, even if isn't completely true. So scary! I read about that, but I hope isn't entirely true!

Reaction score
Sprouts have become a rare commodity here - one batch was tainted with e-coli years ago and now nobody dares sell them. Sprouting them on my own has been something I have considered, but I have no idea where to get the seeds. I could probably get alfalfa sprouts at a garden shop but wouldn't know if they were safe to eat. If anyone knows a good source for seeds, I would love to know (I am in Canada by the way).

Reaction score
Woah, that sounds awful! I wonder why so many things have turned out to be tainted with e coli! Not so long ago they talked about some salads that were sold at some American grocery stores that were tainted with e coli. They also say most chicken meat in most American super markets is tainted with e coli or was is salmonella?

I'm in the same situation as you are... no idea where to get my seeds, but hopefully once I move to the Netherlands I will be able to find a good place to buy them. Maybe you can order them online?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Growing your own sprouts is a good way to be sure of the quality of the sprouts you are eating. Numerous online sites offer seeds for sprouting. Do not go to the feed store and buy seed to sprout, as they are probably treated with toxins. Be sure that the seed you sprout are not toxic. Tomato sprouts are toxic, as well as other related plants. Read some reputable directions on the subject.

Reaction score
Thanks, Thomas. I'm glad you brought this up, because I'm sure a lot people didn't know a lot about this topic (me included). I often wondered where I could get my seed for sprouting. Was worried about GMOs, but had no idea about toxins. Shesh, we live in such a contaminated world!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had no idea that tomato sprouts are toxic. Are there any other sprouts that we should stay away from? Let's make a list, I'm sure that it will be very helpful for everybody:)
I plan to buy 33 different types of sprouts for my boyfriend as a birthday gift:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Reaction score
Wow, thanks a lot, Thomas! I had no idea there were so many seeds we weren't supposed to consume. I'm so glad I hadn't gotten into sprouting before reading this. Surprised to see kidney beans, so glad I never tried out. I bookmarked the first link for future reference :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing these links, both articles are very informative. In the past, I thought that we can sprout and eat anything we want. I'm so glad I didn't poison myself, haha:LOL:
Now, I'll be more careful. There is nothing better than a plate full of healthy and yummy sprouts:love:

Reaction score
I was also thinking the same, Claudine. I'm so glad Thomas brought this to our attention, because who knows what could have happened to us if we had decided to try something new in terms of sprouting (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, sometimes it's better to do some research before experimenting;)
I'm very glad that I've never tried to sprout tomato seeds. Usually, I stick to seeds sold specifically for sprouting, so I guess I'm safe:)

Reaction score
Like any other veggie, store produce is okay. Once you have grown your own or purchased organic produce you never want to go back to the vegetables that you buy in the grocery store. Unbelievable difference!

Ask a Question