Spring tidy up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I have finally accepted that spring is on the way, and so this weekend I took the plunge and had a big tidy up in the garden. It's looking a lot better but there is still so much to do! I've got some climbing roses that haven't been doing very well so I've pruned them right back and we'll see what happens.

Since we moved into our house in 2012 we haven't done anything with the pond, but it really needs a massive clearout so I think we are going to drain it down and start from scratch - get some nice water plants, and perhaps some fish. We've discovered that there is a pump, fountain and lights in the murky depths, but we have no idea where the power is controlled from! o_O

We've also taken the decision to remove a lot of the box hedging in our garden because box blight finally took hold - there is quite a lot of box hedge, so we have completely removed it from one area in the hope that blight doesn't spread to the other area. We don't want to spend a fortune on more box hedge given that it is vulnerable to blight (and there is no cure), so I've been looking into replacements. At the moment my current favourite is Euonymus Fortunei - perhaps either the Emerald 'n' Gold or the Emerald Gaiety. I've read that they can be trimmed into low shaped hedging similar to buxus, but I've not seen any photos of it in a formal style so it's a bit of a gamble.

We're also looking to get some nice climbers to go against a north facing wall - any suggestions much appreciated! :)

What is everyone else up to?

Reaction score
I envy you for the fact that you are able to get out and start cleaning up your gardens and yard. I'm in Connecticut US and we still have a ton of snow on the ground so its going to be a number of weeks until I can begin cleanup. We had a few warmer days but the polar vortex is headed back our way so everything will freeze solid again.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear you still got the snow Firelily, apart from the terrible storms we've had a mild winter in the UK, hardly any frosts.

Becky, if its been done properly, the pond electrics should have an RCD, maybe in the shed or garage? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Tons of snow here too. So far I have been able to get out with the tape measure and plot out some new beds and an expansion of a current one. Going to more than double the garden this year

Reaction score
In my country the temperatures are already 26 C or so! But in the Netherlands is still around 9C. Too warm for this time of the year. It's actually very odd, because this winter in the Netherlands was a very green one. Seriously! Crazy weather!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I haven't done anything yet, I'm too busy with my studies. Also, I'm scared that winter may come back unexpectedly. After all, it's still February. Who knows, maybe in two weeks it will be cold again. I plan to move my miniature roses to a warmer room in the middle of March.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have been at it hard the last 8 weekends are winter has been tough but the weekends have been nice (y)
I lowered this deck and refaced the front of my old shed to make it a little easier for me to look at. Buzzed out a some signage for it, Now im on to the other end of the yard messing with old ties and beds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those signs look brilliant! Did you make the metal bird too?

Ask a Question