Getting a jump on spring........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A welcomed, new experiment, for me, after 7 weeks of post-op "cabin fever".......When the strict doctor limitations were eased up (weight lifting limit raised to 15#, driving ability restored, ect.), yours truly went to Lowe's and purchased the "makings" to set up a 4' seed starting "station", complete with already purchased seed heat mats. Excited at the possibility of starting seeds WITHOUT having long, lanky, scraggly seedlings. Within 4-5 days the zukes, yellow squash, Phoenix tomatoes and bush watermelon seeds have sprouted. I am thankful for the chance to get a BIG jump on spring........just hope it's not TOO big of a jump. First time.......let the learning curve begin......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ever since I started growing cover crops and winter vegetables, I now garden 365-days/year. However, I guess this isn't an option for those of us that are far enough north without a greenhouse. However, for us subtropical guys, even our coldest winters won't hurt most cover crops and winter veggies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's time for me to sow my "play" onions; a few which I hope will grow very large, but are still useable.
I had a good onion crop, both in terms of overall and individual size, so I've saved my best 2 each, red onions & shallots to attempt to grow for seed (my brown onions were f1s) They were planted in early December, indoors, and are now well rooted and starting to shoot. I still have ~ 30lb onions from last summers crop, and their storage capabilities may just get me through until I can take spring (green) onions in May.
There are also germination tests on saved seed from last year to do, and first early potatoes to chit, but really, I cannot start much for this year for another month; there just isn't the light. Maybe some peas?:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tell me about heat mats. I was lovingly fondling some at Lowes today when I was getting a truckload of Black Kow. They were 1 tray mats. The black rubbery type. What would be good points to know? I did not see a heat range on them.
Dirt........They fool the seeds into believing it's spring by raising the soil temp by 10-20 above ambient temp......and, as we know, soil temp is what triggers germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks good @David from Dothan! Hope you're continuing to recover well :)
Thanks Becky.......Doing EXCEEDINGLY well. Have gotten the surgeon's "ok" to return to work as soon as the cardiologists will let me and the cardiologist said 3 1/2 weeks ago that that looked like it would be a "go" after my Jan. 14th appt. with him.......Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have several of the heat mats for 1020 trays. I decided I didn't want so many cords in my indoor growing area so year before last, I bought two that are 24x48 and also purchased temperature controls. I'll be starting them soon. The seeds I've started are just sitting in the kitchen for now. Most of them take 3 weeks to germinate anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We all share the good, the bad and the ugly experiences in our gardening adventures to motivate and encourage.......but ESPECIALLY to warn each other of stumbling blocks and pinky-toe jammers that might not be thought about in our quest for produce......because we are ALWAYS on a learning curve. Todays "toe-jammer".......discovered when I went into the garage to turn on the lights over the seedlings........apparently mice had held a barn dance in the flat with the moringa seedlings. Mouse traps are set...........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We all share the good, the bad and the ugly experiences in our gardening adventures to motivate and encourage.......but ESPECIALLY to warn each other of stumbling blocks and pinky-toe jammers that might not be thought about in our quest for produce......because we are ALWAYS on a learning curve. Todays "toe-jammer".......discovered when I went into the garage to turn on the lights over the seedlings........apparently mice had held a barn dance in the flat with the moringa seedlings. Mouse traps are set...........
Glue traps rule here, and even then they are beatable. We have three covered bait stations outside. If it was not for cats and their evil ways I suspect we would not have any or many inside the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Just finished clearing out and tidying my 6x8. I put down tarp on the floor, heat mats covered by vinyl sheeting covered by felt for capillary feeding. All set for startup at tne end of March. It's too expensive to heat it throughout December, January and February but works as a geat time to get organized and some fresh air on a cold day.

Ask a Question