Getting a jump on spring........

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not many giant onions came up but I've had to move them out of the house into the unheated coldframe as they were going leggy.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have several of the heat mats for 1020 trays. I decided I didn't want so many cords in my indoor growing area so year before last, I bought two that are 24x48 and also purchased temperature controls. I'll be starting them soon. The seeds I've started are just sitting in the kitchen for now. Most of them take 3 weeks to germinate anyway.

View attachment 48226View attachment 48227View attachment 48226View attachment 48227View attachment 48226View attachment 48227

A M A Z I N G!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't seem to have too many issues with tools and things but getting things to grow just right is a challenge!

I'm also a novice with pesticides and fertilizers. Been working on getting my all natural arsenal readh for spring. It's a slow process for me.
@Chuck is a formidable asset against biological predators if you can sweet talk him into sharing his extensive experience. He has not used a harsh chemical in possibly decades.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Neem oil will take care of lots but spinosad is the king of aphid killers. Natural as Chuck can verify but very effective.. they forget to eat and die :)
If I remember right, Neem oil is VERY effective and safe, BUT is an indiscriminate killer (kills the GOOD, the bad and the ugly). Read, just today, in an article relating to the "tried and true" use of Sevin dust (toxic and indiscriminate) where a safe, effective alternative given was......self-rising flour. The premise.......dust your plants, bad bugs ingest the flour while eating the plant, the flour expands inside them, and......BOOM.....dead bug. Now, I don't KNOW about this, I found the info on the internet....and just like Abraham Lincoln said, "You can't ALWAYS believe what you read on the internet".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If I remember right, Neem oil is VERY effective and safe, BUT is an indiscriminate killer (kills the GOOD, the bad and the ugly). Read, just today, in an article relating to the "tried and true" use of Sevin dust (toxic and indiscriminate) where a safe, effective alternative given was......self-rising flour. The premise.......dust your plants, bad bugs ingest the flour while eating the plant, the flour expands inside them, and......BOOM.....dead bug. Now, I don't KNOW about this, I found the info on the internet....and just like Abraham Lincoln said, "You can't ALWAYS believe what you read on the internet".
If you have ever seen a cat with wet feet...I suspect oils and coatings send bugs packing for lots of reasons, not just a poison pill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I use it in my greenhouses.. don't think that qualifies as indiscriminate use. :) but I have a tiny suburban yard and try to be careful. Up high, outside, I have suspended feeding stations for bees during the warm weather.. sort of apologizing to her ladyship , Mother Nature for my boo boos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Becky.......Doing EXCEEDINGLY well. Have gotten the surgeon's "ok" to return to work as soon as the cardiologists will let me and the cardiologist said 3 1/2 weeks ago that that looked like it would be a "go" after my Jan. 14th appt. with him.......Fingers crossed.

Wow that's great news! I'm so pleased for you :giggle: Hope it all goes well today!

Ask a Question