Help---houseplants getting too big!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I needed to reduce the size of some of my overly large houseplants. So, after drastic root pruning, and pruning back many of the stems, I repotted some of my pothos and philodendrons. Now, only a few months after I have done this, the plants are going nuts, with their roots through the bottom of the new, larger pots, and tons of new top growth. I don't have room for this jungle---is there any way to limit the size of these things?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately your plants sound like they are too happy ;) In the right conditions pothos grows to around 20m, so if you want to keep it smaller you will have to keep the stems trimmed. Luckily it's quite tolerant and can manage a heavy prune.

What type of philodendron do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah ok so it's one of the climbing type of Philodendrons. They don't get as big as pothos, but can still get rather large for an indoor plant. Thankfully they can be pruned in the same way as pothos - cut off the stems to the height you want. You can actually re-plant cut stems if you want to make it bushier too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi Carol, and welcome to the forum! It sounds as if your green thumb has gotten out of hand (pun intended).

I am no houseplant expert, but I've been given two houseplants that would willingly take over the house and head toward the barn. I think they are indestructible. They root readily from stem cuttings, so I put them in pots after they root, and take them to the local nursing home for some of the residents to have a bit of greenery in their rooms. If your plants don't require a lot of care, you might consider greening up a nursing home or schoolroom, after asking permission.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations on the green thumb! Have you considered allowing them to climb moss totems? If that is not an option or they are outgrowing their totem despite being able to wind around and around, up and down, you get my point...do contact nursing homes and schools. Middle school biology teachers and FFA sponsors in particular can be contacted directly, and high school Ag. teachers, FFA sponsors (who often have greenhouses in the south at that level) and biology teachers would likely never turn down such an offering. I taught for 12 years between a middle and a high school. Though my current occupation with houseplants means I constantly cut on plants designated for propagation, I still give donations of aquatic supplies, fish and plants to the middle school biology department and plant cuttings to the FFA program. If you want me to find the contacts in your area, just let me know. I really want those cuttings going to a great cause like education, rather than to compost!

Ask a Question