Spaghetti squash questions.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This is my first time growing spaghetti squash. I have three of them coming on three separate vines. My understanding is that I should wind up with 4-5 squash per vine, but most of the flowers seem to be male, so that presents a problem. But it is not THE problem.

This is a picture of the biggest, healthiest of the three.

0811161747#1.jpg

The bottom side of this one is green. This one is sitting on top of a brick next to the garage - not my doing, just where it wound up! :D The vine has enough "give" that I could turn it over, and let the other side get sun, but I do not know if I should. Also, I have read conflicting things about when to pluck it off the vine. Should I wait until two weeks after the whole squash has turned yellow, or wait until the whole vine is dying off?

Another of the squash is not so healthy looking. When it was healthy, I put some straw under it, to keep it off the dirt. Then it rained, and the straw got wet. This is what it looks like now:

0811161748#2.jpg

The part at the top side of the picture is still healthy and firm looking, but as you can see, the bottom side is shriveled. There is a weird growth there on the right side of it. I took it off the straw two days ago, but I believe the damage is done. The growth has a hole in it. Do you think a garden pest bit into it, and caused this? Was it caused by sitting too long on wet straw?

Should I pluck it from the vine now, and hope it tries to grow another squash?

I have always considered the first year I've grown anything as my "season of trial and error..." heck, even the second year can be considered that, but then, I've never had a resource like you guys!! :)

Amy advice welcome, and thanks in advance!

Edited to add : ANY advice welcome, not just advice from "Amy." :cautious:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is my first time growing spaghetti squash. I have three of them coming on three separate vines. My understanding is that I should wind up with 4-5 squash per vine, but most of the flowers seem to be male, so that presents a problem. But it is not THE problem.

This is a picture of the biggest, healthiest of the three.

View attachment 14650

The bottom side of this one is green. This one is sitting on top of a brick next to the garage - not my doing, just where it wound up! :D The vine has enough "give" that I could turn it over, and let the other side get sun, but I do not know if I should. Also, I have read conflicting things about when to pluck it off the vine. Should I wait until two weeks after the whole squash has turned yellow, or wait until the whole vine is dying off?

Another of the squash is not so healthy looking. When it was healthy, I put some straw under it, to keep it off the dirt. Then it rained, and the straw got wet. This is what it looks like now:

View attachment 14651

The part at the top side of the picture is still healthy and firm looking, but as you can see, the bottom side is shriveled. There is a weird growth there on the right side of it. I took it off the straw two days ago, but I believe the damage is done. The growth has a hole in it. Do you think a garden pest bit into it, and caused this? Was it caused by sitting too long on wet straw?

Should I pluck it from the vine now, and hope it tries to grow another squash?

I have always considered the first year I've grown anything as my "season of trial and error..." heck, even the second year can be considered that, but then, I've never had a resource like you guys!! :)

Amy advice welcome, and thanks in advance!
These are considered winter squash. Just let the first one go. You may as well pick the other because it will more then likely rot. And do not turn over the good one. Mother Nature knows what she is doing.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck!! (y)

Any ideas on what caused the problem with the second one? I wanted to trust Mother Nature, but unless it was the straw, (my fault,) then she's responsible for the bug killing that one!! :ROFLMAO:

I can get another picture from that side, if you think that would help... after all, I'm going to pluck it...

:unsure: When should I pick the good one?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck!! (y)

Any ideas on what caused the problem with the second one? I wanted to trust Mother Nature, but unless it was the straw, (my fault,) then she's responsible for the bug killing that one!! :ROFLMAO:

I can get another picture from that side, if you think that would help... after all, I'm going to pluck it...

:unsure: When should I pick the good one?
Pick it right before your first frost. And take pictures of the other one from all sides.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ok, I'll pluck the bad one tomorrow, and post new pictures of it. I really would like to know what went wrong with it! :(

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
0812161431bad.jpg

0812161431abad.jpg

@Chuck, that's what the side that was bulged out looks like, I have no idea what caused that. There's been a skunk coming around the yard lately - think it tried a bite?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I cut it open, just to see what had happened inside, and I found a larvae of some sort. Two of them, in different stages of development.

Anybody know what these are?

0813161409larvae.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I cut it open, just to see what had happened inside, and I found a larvae of some sort. Two of them, in different stages of development.

Anybody know what these are?

View attachment 14684
There is an insect larvae of the squash weevil called Scarabaeiform of which I think this is but it is a rare occurrence. I wish your picture was in better focus to make sure. Does this larvae have legs at all?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No, no legs at all. I tried to get closer, but my camera is my phone, and when I got closer, it blurred even more!

WAIT! I went and had another look at them, and the darker one has got the beginning of legs! They are very tiny, almost look like hairs.

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I poked and prodded in that section of the squash, it is only these two that caused that much damage!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I poked and prodded in that section of the squash, it is only these two that caused that much damage!
It is Scarabaeiform or squash weevil. There are a bunch of different varieties but they all end up as a hard bodied insects. This is a fairly rare thing and the eggs were laid some time ago so don't worry about it. The damage is already done and there isn't a thing you can do about it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm glad they left my good one alone, but really, I wish they had been rare somewhere else!! :mad:
I have been gardening for over 60 years and I have only seen them 3 or 4 times. If you spray for squash vine borers early and mid way in the season you will never see this again. Squash vine borers and squash weevils are controlled the same.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, Chuck!!

I want you to know that I appreciate your advice, and respect your greater wisdom. Your knowledge of garden pests is enviable, and makes me wish I had begun gardening earlier! I've only been at this about five years now, and to be honest, I'm mainly playing. (I like to plant seeds and watch them grow! :))

If you've only seen them 3-4 times in 60+ years of gardening, that's good enough for me. That means I've got about 15-20 years before they come around again! ;)

That is... unless they are rare in TX and common in OH. :cautious: I've never had this problem with acorn or butternut squash. I'll take my chances, and if I see them next year, I will spray forevermore.

Ask a Question