something for my pond

Reaction score
being for my pond i wrote more on the pond forum if more info is wanted, but since it's garden-y too, here's a pic of it. it's part decoration and hopefully works to help filter the pond

exteriors001_zps4bf50ee8.jpg

the top bowl has been planted for about a week, and i just finished the bottom one yesterday. hopefully they'll all grow out well and look fuller as time passes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Is that another small pond up there on the deck under the "table"? This looks like a pretty elaborate setup. I'd like to have a bog garden on the side of the house for the water that gets evaporated from the central ac, but I'm worried about mosquitoes.

Reaction score
the pond on top of the deck is my actual filter right now. a 30gal preformed pond that I'm trying as a version of what's called a skippy filter. the water in it is kinda still, so I'm probably going to try some mosquito dunks if I notice any larve in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this looks really pretty and creative!:) I love everything that reminds me of fountains. Nothing makes me as happy as listening to the sound of flowing water:) But won't those plants get overwatered?

Reaction score
i hope not. i know the hosta can take it 'cause i've set them up like this before in another spot. the annuals i read about doing this way also on the pond forum and so far they seem to be growing fine, at least for this first week or so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
the pond on top of the deck is my actual filter right now. a 30gal preformed pond that I'm trying as a version of what's called a skippy filter. the water in it is kinda still, so I'm probably going to try some mosquito dunks if I notice any larve in it.

So wait, the pond up top is a filter for the pond below? How does that work? My mom used mosquito dunks in the past for a pond she had before Katrina, she was happy with the results. I've thought of raising mosquito fish, but I'd have to have a way to thin them out periodically (like give them away).

Reaction score
So wait, the pond up top is a filter for the pond below? How does that work?

kinda. in this case it's not really used as a pond. i used the preformed pond 'cause i liked the shape of it to fit under the table, and it is a good size relative to my pond setup (about 30gal). you could look at some youtubes of skippy (or bio) filters and see that people use various things. from 5gal buckets to big 70 or more gallon stock tanks to having a whole section of their pond be the filter for the rest.

the black hose going to the bottom is the inlet, and the pond is filled with scrubby pads and twisted pieces of plastic banding straps. the water flows up through them and comes out at the top. a little more happens, as there should be what's called beneficial bacteria that developes amoung the filter media, but i just put it together and haven't brought anything to promote it yet. also if you looked through the glass table it looks pretty nasty, but i have a water hyacinth in it i'm hoping will spread and cover the top (plus the roots help with filtering too).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Ah, very interesting. So the filter pond helps to keep the main pond clean and healthy? And here all I thought I would need to create a backyard pond was a pump/fountain to keep the water circulating. This is starting to look complicated.

Reaction score
i guess it would depend on the size of the pond and maybe some other factors, but I'm far from being the expert. if you were really interested, I'd join or at least do some lurking on the pond forum linked to this one. I should joined or looked first. I built my pond without knowing much and then joined a forum, so a lot of what I do now is trying to make it more "right".

Reaction score
again, i wrote a little more on the pond forum, but here is the end of season pic. a little disapointing

exteriors001_zps5dbade46.jpg

i think i learned some lessons though, so next year i'll try again and hope for better results.

Reaction score
being for my pond i wrote more on the pond forum if more info is wanted, but since it's garden-y too, here's a pic of it. it's part decoration and hopefully works to help filter the pond

exteriors001_zps4bf50ee8.jpg

the top bowl has been planted for about a week, and i just finished the bottom one yesterday. hopefully they'll all grow out well and look fuller as time passes.

What a wonderful and innovative idea :D Well done! I love it! In my opinion it looks really nice! I love the way you used to create something so beautiful, I hope it really turns out the way you wanted it (helping you filter the pond).

Reaction score
Great job with your planter bowls for the pond. They look really nice.. Are you doing anything else to the pond or are you finished with the project?

Reaction score
just maintenancce and upkeep i guess. i did recently find 4 matching pie tin like things. i have a kinda modified table top fountain in another section of my pond i posted sometime before. i'm thinking on making a larger version of it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very inventive, how did it all work out, you had it going for a few months through the summer. I like the idea of using modified ideas to improve your pond and grow more plants.

Ask a Question