Soil consistency.

Reaction score
Country
United States
While some plants might do better with thick soil and clay, others with more fluffy aerated soil, can clay be mixed with vermiculite or coconut chunks to make the soil more inclusive among a broad variety of plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden is heavy clay and I pick up the balls that are formed when I hoe and burn them in my incinerator. It makes a sort of terracotta that I break up and mix back into the soil. I have been here three or four years now and it is starting to make quite a difference, partly because I am not just adding things, but taking clay out as well. Most of the things added to clay to help lighten it, like compost or coir, break down over time and lose their effectiveness, someone else on here said he added charcoal for that reason, it doesn't break down, but if you are dealing with the soil in a bed rather than a pot it takes quite a bit to make a difference, expensive if it is vermiculite or some such.

Ask a Question