Snall and slug problem

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as I've been raising vegetables, snails/slugs have never been a problem for me until now. I guess it's all this cool, wet weather we have had. I've tried several homemade remedies to no prevail. I'm about to go to the local hardware store, but I hate putting chemicals on my vegetables but before I see them destroy my price cabbage, I will.
I remember a long time ago my mother putting beer out, and they would crawl into the bowl and drown. Maybe I'll try that unless some of you'll know something better.

Attachments

• IMG_20230629_194558214.jpg
    IMG_20230629_194558214.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you see a slug? They leave a slimy trail at night you can see with a flashlight. I suspect something else. June bugs will eat large size holes in leaves but I don't think I've seen them on cabbage. Mainly because cabbage is harvested by now.

Heirloom farmer1969

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you see a slug? They leave a slimy trail at night you can see with a flashlight. I suspect something else. June bugs will eat large size holes in leaves, but I don't think I've seen them on cabbage. Mainly because cabbage is harvested by now
I think it's snails, but I could be wrong. Yes, I've been handpicking them off. These last couple of days, they've been terrible, probably because of all of the wet weather. I've been reading up on pouring beer out in a bowl, so I think I will try that trick.
Our spring was so wet and cold I didn't get mine planted till the first week of April. Normally mine would have been harvested by now also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As long as I've been raising vegetables, snails/slugs have never been a problem for me until now. I guess it's all this cool, wet weather we have had. I've tried several homemade remedies to no prevail. I'm about to go to the local hardware store, but I hate putting chemicals on my vegetables but before I see them destroy my price cabbage, I will.
I remember a long time ago my mother putting beer out, and they would crawl into the bowl and drown. Maybe I'll try that unless some of you'll know something better.

I live in the cool, wet climate of the West of Scotland where we are almost always plagued by slugs and snails.

I can tell you from experience that beer traps work. They will drastically reduce the number of slugs in your garden if you regularly put out the traps. If you don't have beer you can make an equally good alternative with flour, sugar, baking yeist and water. I use the latter.

I have also used nematodes - again, this will reduce and even erradicate the slugs in your garden for up to 6 weeks at a time. You can make your own if you can't get them where you live.

Nematodes tend to leave gaps when the slugs get to your seedlings so for valuable seedlings (can't be used when cold, and you need slugs in your garden for it to work). Slug traps won't eliminate completely. So I tend to use the safe slug bait that's environmentally friendly around things I particularly want to protect (very small seedlings for example).

Keeping rotting vegetation and rubbish away from your key growing areas will reduce slugs where your prized plants are. Put the slug traps to entice them away and keep your growing areas free of all food and hiding places.

This year has been abnormally dry (until now) so we didn't need to do anything for weeks on end. But the rain is back and so are the slugs - with a vengence!!

Heirloom farmer1969

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I live in the cool, wet climate of the West of Scotland where we are almost always plagued by slugs and snails.

I can tell you from experience that beer traps work. They will drastically reduce the number of slugs in your garden if you regularly put out the traps. If you don't have beer you can make an equally good alternative with flour, sugar, baking yeist and water. I use the latter.

I have also used nematodes - again, this will reduce and even erradicate the slugs in your garden for up to 6 weeks at a time. You can make your own if you can't get them where you live.

Nematodes tend to leave gaps when the slugs get to your seedlings so for valuable seedlings (can't be used when cold, and you need slugs in your garden for it to work). Slug traps won't eliminate completely. So I tend to use the safe slug bait that's environmentally friendly around things I particularly want to protect (very small seedlings for example).

Keeping rotting vegetation and rubbish away from your key growing areas will reduce slugs where your prized plants are. Put the slug traps to entice them away and keep your growing areas free of all food and hiding places.

This year has been abnormally dry (until now) so we didn't need to do anything for weeks on end. But the rain is back and so are the slugs - with a vengence!!
I'm own my way to get some beer now. I also have been reading online that a lot of people use milk so I might try both.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you drink beer then get some cans and drink it leaving a sip at the bottom. Put the cans laying down around the plants for a couple days and they will be full of slugs/snails. Then pick up the cans, put them in a bag and bring to the beer store to cash in and buy more beer. Repeat all summer long 😂

Joking aside though it works better then a dish of beer because when you water or if it rains it doesn't get into the cans. Not the most visually stunning thing you can do for the garden but it works and more beer for you.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A cheaper way would be to buy yeast and add a little sugar, corn or anything organic and warm water. Basically home made alcohol that you definitely don't want to drink but the slugs are happy to.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A flashlight and a bottle of hot water to drop them in is satisfying, but remember to empty itit gets disgusting quite quickly.

Maybe Sean could send you a spare hedgehog :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A flashlight and a bottle of hot water to drop them in is satisfying, but remember to empty itit gets disgusting quite quickly.

Maybe Sean could send you a spare hedgehog :)

I've put a sheet of plywood beside the garden and wet under it. The slugs will go to it once the sun comes up to escape the heat. Then sprinkle them with some salt. Only thing is the salt probably isn't good for the soil so hot water would work great.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am not sure if it is the heat , or that slugs can breath under water, but boiled water has no air in it.

Never put salt on a slug as a kid? Kind of goes hand in hand with using a magnifying glass on ants lol. Man.. thinking about the stuff us boys do when kids makes me cringe a bit. Water boils at 100 so I'm guessing it's the heat. 112 is as good as it gets for water.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water boils at 100 so I'm guessing it's the heat. 112 is as good as it gets for water.
I would cut the top off a plastic milk bottle, fill it, then walk round the garden with it, so nowhere near that hot, but how hot can a cold slug stand?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
One word of warning that I've read but don't know if it's true.....

Slugs will travel quite a distance to get to you beer and you can attract them from miles around.

In case it's partly true, be wary of attracting slugs into your garden from next door - especially through your veg or flower beds (where they might stop for a snack) to get to your traps. We watched the slugs to find the direction of travel and their habits before laying the traps.

So for example, if you think the slugs are hiding out in the long grass next door and coming into your veg patch at night, put the traps on your border between the grass and your veg beds. NOT in the middle of your veg beds or on the other side of them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They have stopped marketing metaldehyde as the active ingredient in slug pellets, which is great because it really is dangerous stuff that causes brain damage in mammals, kills fish, and so on.
Modern ones use an iron salt, the excess iron destroys the slug's 'liver'. I see they are marketed as 'organic', a word which seems to have lost its original meaning and is now pretty meaningless, but they do do a lot less damage.
As for snails, you might find my story 'flying lessons' instructive, or at least amusing, just over three and a half mins. of it.

Ask a Question