Smart plugs and odd product names

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So I forsee a first world problem as I have sorted and organized my batteries and their associated tools and chargers to eventually turn off on command so the transformers are not energized for the majority of time they are not used. I have paslode nail gun batteries, ryobi batteries in multiples, li-ion small cell chargers, 48v Echo, 12v car trickle and maintainers and various flashlights, etc. Some, like the paslode (Pass Load?) cordless nailgun, I really do not use often if even annually. Phonetically the word Ryobi cannot possible be spelled correctly by Alexa or Google can it? Don't you think voice recognition would be better naming it "RYE O B"? But that is odd when you start seeing a large number of wifi devices on your software. The Echo products are no problem I think but "Paslode" seems twitchy. Obviously if the speaker spells the word its akin to mis-typed a passwor. Have you guys sorted any of this out yet or should I just name it Fred and be done? Thinking about the wife here too folks. She is a woman who drills.

I have a plug called "The Bomb" because I thought the first one really was "The Bomb". This one light downstairs way across the room. Then one day we had company....gotta have some care out there in what we say.

Now there are 18 on 3 multi plug strips and 15 or so loose ones scattered about. All the Christmas lights are in a named group\room called Candles. I went back and named the multiplugs A, B, C so they are 1A or 3C etc individually controlled. The loose plugs are all X1, X2, X3 and so on. It helps when you move then not to have them called TV or something else. Anyway the point is this thing is headed toward the dewey decimal system like a library so I wondered if anybody has a neater framework because now phonetics and machine spelling are entering the picture.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gosh, life has got complicated for you hasn't it? I can't really help, I only have two battery driven devices, and on one (the big torch) the battery is integral so I just plug it in. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Really its how google home and alexa work. They are not organized the same. Google is definitely more opaque so far when it comes to plugs. I will be installing smart switches on some lights before long too. Ease of use is tipping toward alexa by a large margin. Not that either are bone simple mind you. But you do get used to things once the confusion of newness is replaced with repetition and some experiences. Somewhere an engineer must laugh every time someone asks these speakers to help explain themselves and the retort is "I don't know about that."

I cannot wait for a power outage. That will be a hoot.

Last edited:

Ask a Question