Would would you grow in this 100 gallon smart pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I was going to fill this bed with milkweed, but I have a separate spot in the ground that I’m thinking of planting them in.

anyway, now I have this 100 gallon smart pot that I spent my Sunday filling with (expensive) potting soil. I want to use it for vegetables. I’m thinking of something with a large root system. The bed is shallow, but it’s very wide. Not wanting to grow lettuce or anything with a small root system because it’s a waste of all the soil. I can grow those in a tiny container.

I want my value! :)

Attachments

• 370105CA-D616-4C4C-97C9-83598E504DB4.jpeg
    370105CA-D616-4C4C-97C9-83598E504DB4.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 166
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What's smart about it? Do you have a link? Maybe it's just hard to tell from the pictures but it doesn't look as big as I would expect 100g. I've got a few 30 gallon pots I grow potatoes in. If you're is 100 if guess potatoes would be good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Smart pot just means it’s fabric... it’s definitely 100 gallons. I needed 300 dry quarts of soil to fill it up...

Hmm. I might end up using the potting mix for my smaller vegetables pots, and just fill this 100 gal with cheaper soil and plant the milkweed there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm..

Not something I would choose.

That's a nice patio, but not a very attractive container,
Each to their own, but I prefer these sixteen inch ceramic pots (must do as I've well over a dozen).
I have them on pot movers, so they can be moved to clean our patios and more importantly, rotated occasionally so the other side of each plant gets the sun.

I took this the other day, all our roses are doing well, even this early in the year.

P1030663.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was going to fill this bed with milkweed, but I have a separate spot in the ground that I’m thinking of planting them in.

anyway, now I have this 100 gallon smart pot that I spent my Sunday filling with (expensive) potting soil. I want to use it for vegetables. I’m thinking of something with a large root system. The bed is shallow, but it’s very wide. Not wanting to grow lettuce or anything with a small root system because it’s a waste of all the soil. I can grow those in a tiny container.

I want my value! :)
Interesting question. Not many vegetables qualify for this size pot. Either the spread of the plant is too wide or the root system too deep or too shallow. Trees or bushes are out as the lifespan of the container is +/- 5 years. You could grow melons but you need a lot of room for them to spread. This container is 38"D x 20"H. The only thing I can think of would be to plant an assortment of herbs. You could have an entire kitchen herb garden. I think you could successfully have 10 or 12 herb plants in the container.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If think 20" is deep enough for most any vegetable plant. Peppers, tomatoes, etc. I think potatoes it even carrots would do give in there as well. My potatoes don't go that deep.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Try to plant "Christmas Greeting" peppers. It's a quite hot pepper, it's change color during ripening. You can grow chili peppers. Cucumbers will also feel good in a pot this size.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I would grow beans...pole beans. Would make a spectacular presentation. Bingos, Christmas Limas, Speckled Limas, King Limas, Asparagus beans, in addition to the traditional Kentucky and Blue Lake.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
One more question:

ok. I made up my mind. I’m going to grow corn in this container. I used all the potting mix that was in the 100 gallon smart pot for other projects, and now I need to fill it up again. Do I need to use potting soil for this container,or can just use garden soil?

I also found a recipe I found which calls for 60% top soil 30% compost and 10% peat moss. Would that be better? Trying to save money because it was super expensive when I bought 300 qt of potting mix to fill it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One more question:

ok. I made up my mind. I’m going to grow corn in this container. I used all the potting mix that was in the 100 gallon smart pot for other projects, and now I need to fill it up again. Do I need to use potting soil for this container,or can just use garden soil?

I also found a recipe I found which calls for 60% top soil 30% compost and 10% peat moss. Would that be better? Trying to save money because it was super expensive when I bought 300 qt of potting mix to fill it.
That will be OK although I doubt you'll need the peat. I have never tried growing corn in a container so it should be interesting. I would mix fertilizer in with the soil as you fill the container because corn roots grow about 2 1/2-3 inches per leaf stage and you want to keep a steady supply of nutrients to the roots. Keep us posted

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
That will be OK although I doubt you'll need the peat. I have never tried growing corn in a container so it should be interesting. I would mix fertilizer in with the soil as you fill the container because corn roots grow about 2 1/2-3 inches per leaf stage and you want to keep a steady supply of nutrients to the roots. Keep us posted
I definitely will!

Ask a Question