Growing Spruce from 10" plugs for Sale Later

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to purchase a large amount of 10" Spruce plugs, and want to come up with a good plan of low maintaince over the next 5 years or so while they reach larger size with intention to sell.

My thoughts is this:

1) buy some 5 gallon pots
2) add dirt and compost
3) plant the plugs in the pots
4) dig trench in ground and partially bury (like halfway) or more the pots
5) slow acting fertilizer applied once/year
6) keep weeds down in pots, add compost around tree

Is this a good plan? what i'm trying to avoid is having to re-pot these every couple year, save on watering (if they are partially buried), and easy/quickly to prepare for sale when they are ready. thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
One other factor to consider is root pruning. Field-grown nursery trees should be annually root-pruned. This is often done using a heavy-duty motorized tree spade, though there are manual methods. The five-gallon container would only get in the way and cause root girdling.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One other factor to consider is root pruning. Field-grown nursery trees should be annually root-pruned. This is often done using a heavy-duty motorized tree spade, though there are manual methods. The five-gallon container would only get in the way and cause root girdling.
Is root pruning really needed? What is benefit? Is there an amount of time I can grow in pots and sell them prior to a time when root pruning would be recommended?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are talking about growing a product that you intend to sell to the public. That you ask such questions shows that you need a full agricultural/horticultural education before you begin any such profession. As it is now any get-rich-quick schemes are doomed to failure for you and any customers that buy your product.

I am talking about true education and experience in the plant industry, not bandying questions about on a chat forum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are talking about growing a product that you intend to sell to the public. That you are ask such questions shows that you need a full agricultural/horticultural education before you begin any such profession. As it is now any get-rich-quick schemes are doomed to failure for you and any customers that buy your product.

I am talking about true education and experience in the plant industry, not bandying questions about on a chat forum.
Thank you for advice. I like to approach ideas with broad brush including any feedback I can get. Sometimes useful, sometimes not. I'm a learner, and have had success selling trees about 20 years ago and have also spent as few years a professional landscaper when I was a young buck. Been a lifelong gardener, so i understand how things grow. If you're not willing to share insight, no problem. As mentioned, I appropriate your research for a deeper horticulture eduction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
1000 buckets is 25 cubic yards of potting soil? Ouch my back! Check out some loose grow bags. @Marck is right of course but maybe you keep them smaller for shipping reasons. Who knows?

Ask a Question