Sleeping Temperature

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That is why so many of us colonists carry guns. Seriously, when we are out kayaking in the rivers or lakes we always carry guns. Between the alligators and snakes it is not a good place to be defenseless. The worst man eating creature we had down there was actually the mosquito. They were beasts!

Yes. I can see the point. Also, if you lived in a big farm in a country and some lowlife burgled you with a gun. There was no hope of getting the police to protect you .. I think education and limited access to a gun is vital though. Do you need references for acquiring a gun?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I reckon you travelled to Scotland in the summer, Esther?

How very true alp. Bron used to visit Scotland on holiday with her parents and enjoyed good weather; I've visited Scotland once accompanied by Blackie whilst Bron and I were camping just before we married; we tried to pitch the tent in gale force wind and driving rain; yes Gale also joined us; at 4am we broke camp due to a stream of water running through the tent; the two foam mattresses are still in Scotland having been blown away; I dropped the tent by removing the two poles and dumped the sodden lot into the rear of our Reliant Robin. We travelled 1,200 miles in three days in search of sunshine but the rain came down like pencils. Having endured this for three days in July 1976 (Summer?) enough was enough; when we stopped at the services wagon drivers were complaining about the rain. Back home the sun came out; we've never been back to Scotland because the climate is even worse than our Yorkshire climate? :(

I've alway been against carrying firearms or any weapon but I can see the need when confronted by alligators and snakes; I shudder to think of such creatures roaming wild; mosquitoes too SR are something we aren't troubled by; our bugs nip us and bring us up in bumps but they generally aren't life threatening; I'd much rather see squirrels and birds in our garden than something that could seriously injure or kill me.

Here in the UK it's illegal to carry weapons and rightly so this making the UK a relatively safe place to live in; I just hope I don't drown due to Blackie constantly soaking me; I'm in for another soaking shortly as I head into the garden.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes. I can see the point. Also, if you lived in a big farm in a country and some lowlife burgled you with a gun. There was no hope of getting the police to protect you .. I think education and limited access to a gun is vital though. Do you need references for acquiring a gun?
Well, would hope, if I live in a big farm in the country, I have other first line defenses before I go to get my gun. Such as a couple GSDs or Rotties. As an American, gun restriction is a lot like drug restrictions. Both can still be gotten. But the problem is, then the "good people" would not know how to get a gun to protect themselves against the "bad" people who know how to get guns. In recent events it was because a "good" person had a gun and stopped further slaughter from a "bad" person. Its not the gun, its the human. That is the same thought process as if to say in order to stop drunk drivers, they need to take cars away from all people. My Aunt was KILLED by a drunk driver. As far as what you need to get a gun, have not a clue, never tried. guess it depends, getting it the correct way or not.

The issue is mental health reform----in that area there is lots of need. There is so many crying for help out there. There is also the privacy act HIPPA , which can be a little extreme. There is also the self centered general population out there, who do not pay attention to people crying out for help. I wonder, how someone like Robin Williams ---who killed himself---was unnoticed of his pain he had to be in (just an example).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Alp, yes I had to take a gun safety course that included the relevant laws to carry. I then had to submit to a background check and pass that. I then was finger printed and photographed prior to being issued my permit to carry concealed. I also carry a hefty insurance policy.

Ask a Question