Moderating Temperatures in the Greenhouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I've ordered the parts I need to make my solar water heater. I made one before and perhaps underestimated how much it could help because I did not have a large reservoir for the heated water.

I did not like the design as it was large and hard to mount so I am designing a new one. I am also going to add reflectors similar to the ones on my sun oven. I hope to heat 80 liters of water in the greenhouse when the sun shines.

I am also going to use a combination of pressure siphoning and a pump operated directly by solar power so that it only runs when the sun shines.

I think for now it would be silly to try to set this up before the day temps are consistently above freezing but come the fall I am going to use it until it appears to freeze.

Don't know how far I'm going to push it but what the heck.. Anyone else here successfully used mass to moderate temps?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your project sounds very interesting,where will the hot water flow under the floor boards or on a wall to keep it warm in the greenhouse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am also going to use a combination of pressure siphoning and a pump operated directly by solar power so that it only runs when the sun shines.

I think for now it would be silly to try to set this up before the day temps are consistently above freezing but come the fall I am going to use it until it appears to freeze.

Don't know how far I'm going to push it but what the heck.. Anyone else here successfully used mass to moderate temps?

If it's a true closed system, then all that needs to be done is add antifreeze to the water, and you will be able to utilize it all year long much like the hydro systems they use to heat driveways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I was thinking about adding antifreeze, just didn't know if I was on the right path.

Would something like denatured alcohol be the thing to use?

p.s. the storage would be a container on the floor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was thinking about adding antifreeze, just didn't know if I was on the right path.

Would something like denatured alcohol be the thing to use?

p.s. the storage would be a container on the floor.

I would look into what they use in RV's. I believe that stuff is very safe for the environment, and most big box stores carry it in the fall season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Just looked it up, it is 5 dollars a gallon and cannot be diluted. I will have to think about that as I would need 20 gallons minimum. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just looked it up, it is 5 dollars a gallon and cannot be diluted. I will have to think about that as I would need 20 gallons minimum. .
I'll do some research also. There is another type of antifreeze that is put into boiler systems that has a dilution rate. Lemme see what I can find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Lori, once you're done you'll have to come back and tell us all how we can do it also! I did okay with my little flower pot heater last year, but it seemed to barely keep the temperature at about ten degrees above the outside air temperature.

Ask a Question