Should the soil be wet?

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Do i have to keep the soil, in the pot, wet, or is it enough to keep it just moist? Is it necessary for the soil to be wet, so the roots can absorb water, or can the roots absorb water from the moist itself?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Constant wet rots roots unless you are growing/starting plants in water. (It really depends on the type of plant). Moist is best in my opinion until you get to know your plants, figure out soil types, etc. especially as a new plant parent. Some plants like a good soaking and then let to throughly dry the soil. If unsure do a google search for your specific plant variety.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do i have to keep the soil, in the pot, wet, or is it enough to keep it just moist? Is it necessary for the soil to be wet, so the roots can absorb water, or can the roots absorb water from the moist itself?
What are you growing in the pot?

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Constant wet rots roots unless you are growing/starting plants in water. (It really depends on the type of plant). Moist is best in my opinion until you get to know your plants, figure out soil types, etc. especially as a new plant parent. Some plants like a good soaking and then let to throughly dry the soil. If unsure do a google search for your specific plant variety.
Tanks for the answer. :)

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
These plants should be outside in the ground. Don`t you have any garden?
I don't have any garden. I keep the plants, because i like them, i don't use them for food. Keeping them in pots is enough, because i don't need huge population of them.

The pots are wide and deep enough.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen Iron Cross Clover growing on my old veg plot in Dorset, very nice :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1619357945232.png
1619358031014.png
1619358135198.png
Well, @Plantium - if I may say so, I think your choice is absolutely lovely, and I hope you get a lot of pleasure from this. If you keep the soil moist and make sure you give them enough daylight they should be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
After you determine the amount of moisture your plants prefer you can use the moisture percent by weight method with a postal scale or other similar scale possibly a food scale you may have. The pic example calculation is for wood but it's the same for dirt. Original weight sample vs dried weight sample expressed as a percent mathematically.

Attachments

• Moisture content of wood 2017.JPG
    Moisture content of wood 2017.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 48
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Wheat, Iron-Cross clover (oxalis tetraphylla) and dandelions.
Your wheat appears to be beautiful - Beardless -. I cut a few thousand acres of that in Montana in 1957. IIR it is a Spring wheat which we don't grow in the mid and southern plains states. Bearded only winter wheat here. In my opinion wheat straw is the best vegetable garden mulch money can buy.

Attachments

• Mulch ll- 21.JPG
    Mulch ll- 21.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 44
Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you can take a handful of soil and squeeze it and more then 3 or 4 drops come out it too wet in between your finger, your plants are probably going to suffer if doesn't dry out within a few days.

Ask a Question