Shaded area for a novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after some advice. I have a tiny porch / yard area at the front of my house. It gets no sun. I’d like to add some colour but I’ve no idea what to plant. The ground is quite clay-y. So I’ve considered getting it paved and using pots maybe instead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Half my garden is in shade and all my plants are containers. I stoned an area of grass that was permanently mossy due to shade and brightened up the area with evergreens and colourful garden ornaments dotted around the pots. I also have a couple of mirrors and mirror balls in the sunny parts to try and throw some light across.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Look into Astilbe. I have a long stretch the side of house that is in shade almost all day with the exception of a couple hours in the morning and dappled evening sun about an hour. I have one azalea there and all hostas. I needed color and getting tired of hostas. Astilbe bloom in shade.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always try to put people off paving, the effects on rain run off are not good. In urban areas people think 'It is only a few square feet to stand the car on', but the overall effect is flooding storm drains and falling water tables. Stones or gravel that will let the water through to the earth are much less damaging.

Ask a Question