Shaded "non-invasive" vine recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am a new home owner/gardener/handy man that is always looking to upgrade my home. My front porch faces north and the overhang shades a garden between the porch and grass. I want to put up a small rod iron or wood fence around porch and thought it would be great to find a shade vine to cover the fence. However, I am worried it would take over everything and become a neussance. Any recommendations?

Specifics...
Shaded
Evergreen
Portland OR
Flowering if possible

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You might consider Crossvine (Bignonia Capriolata) which here in Texas is almost evergreen, has lovel flowers--heavy flowering in the spring, then off and on during the rest of the season.
coral vine.jpg

I mis-labeled this as coral vine, but it is really cross vine. It is non-invasive, won't take down a trellis or fence, and attracts hummingbirds and pollinators.
Ours is in the shade of a large hackberry tree, and gets about 2-3 hours of dapple sunlight a day. With more sun, it gets bigger.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might consider Crossvine (Bignonia Capriolata) which here in Texas is almost evergreen, has lovel flowers--heavy flowering in the spring, then off and on during the rest of the season.
View attachment 12005
I mis-labeled this as coral vine, but it is really cross vine. It is non-invasive, won't take down a trellis or fence, and attracts hummingbirds and pollinators.
Ours is in the shade of a large hackberry tree, and gets about 2-3 hours of dapple sunlight a day. With more sun, it gets bigger.

Thank you! I will do some research. Not sure how it will hold up in Oregon weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Ah yes. This is true. I was thinking...they like their feet in the shade. :/
I would just check them out. we have one that is more in shade that will only bloom on the top of it. while others in direct sun bloom all the way up the vine. If you pull up a good web site for them, you will find so many types. so just read about them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hydrangea climber.
This is a great choice in my book. I have one myself that has been in the ground for roughly about ten years. It's been growing on my six foot stockade fence, and has not done one bit of damage to it. While the flowers are a little short lived, they do put on quite a show when in bloom. What I love most about it is the winter interest. All these craggy limbs and branches going every which way is absolutely awesome. It's a real favorite of the winter, and spring birds also.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I am a new home owner/gardener/handy man that is always looking to upgrade my home. My front porch faces north and the overhang shades a garden between the porch and grass. I want to put up a small rod iron or wood fence around porch and thought it would be great to find a shade vine to cover the fence. However, I am worried it would take over everything and become a neussance. Any recommendations?

Specifics...
Shaded
Evergreen
Portland OR
Flowering if possible

Thank you!
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

First of all, a vigorous healthy vine that is grows enough to give coverage is not a nuisance, indeed, it is what you would want. However it may very likely need to be pruned from time to time. Such pruning is a common task in horticulture. Changing one's attitude from dread and worry to acceptance and satisfaction is the first step.

Secondly, most vines grow better with some direct sunlight, but many can tolerate shade as long as it is not too deep.
Many people seem to think vines grow well in shade because they usually encounter vines while standing beneath them. Vines that will grow in full shade will usually display few or no flowers. The few vines more likely to flower in full shade in temperate climates are deciduous, including several members of the Hydrangea Family (Hydrangeaceae): Hydrangea anomala, Hydrangea barbara (formerly Decumaria barbara), Hydrangea petiolaris (formerly H. anomala var. petiolaris), and Hydrangea hydrangeoides (formerly Schizophragma hydrangeoides).

As the most probable choice for a full shade, evergreen vine in Portland is English Ivy (Hedera helix), I strongly advise that give up the requirement that the vine be evergreen, and instead choose a deciduous vine. Besides, the Hydrangea species already listed. You might consider certain members of the Grape Family (Vitaceae), with Boston Ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) generally being the most shade-tolerant option. One more fine deciduous vine for shade is the Variegated Kiwi Vine (Actinidia kolomikta), native to eastern Asia, Japan, and Sakhalin. This vine will likely give you bright patches of white and pink color, due not to flower, but dramatically variegated foliage. You might even possibly get small edible 'kiwi-berries' if you were to plant both male and female vines, as the species is dioecious. Though, as I said earlier, vines will flower better in the sun.

Of course, if the shade is actually not so full and complete, or if the vine could grow above the trees and house into the sun. Then the number possible flowering vines would be much greater.

Last edited:

Ask a Question