What schrubs or hedges will grow in shaded areas.

Reaction score
I want to plant schrubs or hedges around my front porch but I do not get a lot of sunlight due to a number of pine trees in my yard. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I could plant that does not call for a lot of sunlight?

Reaction score
Please define "not a lot of sunlight" Like how many hours per day? Right now, from what you've said, I think your best bet for a hedge would be some taxus densiformis. You also could have some physocarpus opulifolius 'Darts Gold'.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rhododendron
One of the most popular shade plants is the rhododendron. It thrives in the shade, adding beauty and interest with its large, colorful blooms and evergreen foliage. Rhododendrons are also versatile in the garden, perfect for use in hedges, foundation plantings or alone as specimen plants.

We have Rhododendron bushes in an area that does not get much direct sunlight because of the 5 huge tress in the backyard. The bushes have done well over the years with very minimum care.

Read more: What Shrubs Should Be Used in Shady Areas? | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/99523-shrubs-should-used-shady-areas.html#ixzz2t7qh4Yho

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Have you thought of Yellow-flowered tree peony? It's a beautiful shrub and it grows well in shady areas. When it's blooming, it looks stunning, here are some pictures:

51281850e4b0ef4684e578b5

peony-bartzella3.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carolina allspice – Carolina allspice is a shade-loving shrub that not only adds interest with its reddish-purple flowers, but this shrub also emits a pleasant spicy aroma.

Honeysuckle – Also worthy in the shade garden is the fragrant honeysuckle shrub. While you may find numerous varieties to choose from, the climbing variety will add height when trained on a trellis or similar structure. Even if you opt for the more shrubby variety, this shade lover should be placed close by, where its fragrance can be better appreciated.

Mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia)

This native shrub prefers acidic soil high in organic matter. Cup-shaped pink flowers appear in clusters from spring to early summer. Evergreen leaves add winter interest. Look for varieties with smaller forms and brighter blossom colors.

Ask a Question