Setting up raised garden: how to build over Vego wicking cells?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

First post. New home owner in Los Angeles and doing something I've always wanted to do: setting up a garden! We got the Vego metal raised garden, 32" tall, 8 feet wide. I've been looking at some ways to set up the garden and was drawn to the layering with cardboard then detritus/yard clippings and then logs/twigs and then the planting soil on the top. I really like this video:

However, we also got the Vego wicking cells: https://vegogarden.com/products/wicking-cells

My main question is: if I use the wicking cells for the bottom, can I still layer like above or do I need to have it packed with soil from the bottom up? I'm not sure I understand exactly how the wicking cells work as a water reservoir but I'm wondering if having the bottom layer (on top of it) with less dense materials will at best make the wicking not work and at worse cause the whole set up to massively fail and I do NOT want to re-do ~20 square feet.

I'm hoping to go to home depot tomorrow for supplies. Any advice/guidance appreciated!
'

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With wicking cells, you can still layer, but it's important that the soil is in contact with the wicking cells to allow capillary action to draw water up. A less dense material above the cells may disrupt this, so it's crucial to have a capillary wicking layer that touches the cells, followed by your soil. Aim for consistent soil density to ensure proper moisture distribution. Good luck with your project!

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hey all!

First post. New home owner in Los Angeles and doing something I've always wanted to do: setting up a garden! We got the Vego metal raised garden, 32" tall, 8 feet wide. I've been looking at some ways to set up the garden and was drawn to the layering with cardboard then detritus/yard clippings and then logs/twigs and then the planting soil on the top. I really like this video:

However, we also got the Vego wicking cells: https://vegogarden.com/products/wicking-cells

My main question is: if I use the wicking cells for the bottom, can I still layer like above or do I need to have it packed with soil from the bottom up? I'm not sure I understand exactly how the wicking cells work as a water reservoir but I'm wondering if having the bottom layer (on top of it) with less dense materials will at best make the wicking not work and at worse cause the whole set up to massively fail and I do NOT want to re-do ~20 square feet.

I'm hoping to go to home depot tomorrow for supplies. Any advice/guidance appreciated!
'
Regarding the wicking cells in your gardening idea, I can see why you are concerned. My uncle Chetta Apipatana has experience with wicking beds and is an avid gardener. The water reservoir in wicking cells is usually where moisture wicks up into the soil above. Although it may have an impact on the wicking process, layering with less dense fabrics above can aid in aeration. It's crucial to carefully follow the directions to make sure the water reservoir works as planned. Ask Home Depot's professionals for guidance if you're unsure. They ought should be able to help you along the way. I wish you well on your project! #GardeningTips 🌱🌼

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Soil scientists have known since at least the 50s that layers of any kind create perched water tables. This means that the soil above a change in texture, coarser or finer doesn’t matter, must be completely saturated before water will move into the layer below. The more layers there are, the more perched water tables there are. The soil you are growing in must reach all the way to the cells to be able to wick water up. Same thing works for pots. A cover over the drain hole to hold in soil instead of a layer of “drainage material” is all you need.
Is there some way to check the water level in the reservoir?

Ask a Question