Party foul in my new raised beds - What now?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Earlier this summer, I added 3 raised beds to my existing garden. I misinterpreted Huw Richards' advice, and layered the beds in this order:

Bottom - Organic matter (pine shavings w/chicken manure, leaves, etc.)
Middle - Top soil
Top - Compost (from my local nursery - orchard waste, leaves, etc. but NOT what they call "super compost," which includes dairy manure)

But I left them as layers, such that the top 12" are compost alone.

Interestingly, I've had mixed results in their success:
Bed 1 - Pumpkin seeds + broccoli starts = growing very well, but no other seeds will grow in the remaining 1/5 of the bed
Bed 2 - No seeds will grow
Bed 3 - Champagne tomatoes have overtaken the entire bed. Previously planted 9 strawberry starts; unclear on their status under all the tomatoes.

No dig gardening revitalized my other 4 beds, so I'm partial to that approach. But ... how do I move forward for productive harvests next year? A couple of ideas I'm pondering ...
1. Do I rip out the remaining plants + roots in beds 1 and 3 and mix in ... top soil (?) to those along with bed 2?
2. Do I layer top soil on top of the existing compost now that the beds have settled and I have about 3" of room at the top of each?
3. Absent those approaches ... what the heck do I do?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Earlier this summer, I added 3 raised beds to my existing garden. I misinterpreted Huw Richards' advice, and layered the beds in this order:

Bottom - Organic matter (pine shavings w/chicken manure, leaves, etc.)
Middle - Top soil
Top - Compost (from my local nursery - orchard waste, leaves, etc. but NOT what they call "super compost," which includes dairy manure)

But I left them as layers, such that the top 12" are compost alone.

Interestingly, I've had mixed results in their success:
Bed 1 - Pumpkin seeds + broccoli starts = growing very well, but no other seeds will grow in the remaining 1/5 of the bed
Bed 2 - No seeds will grow
Bed 3 - Champagne tomatoes have overtaken the entire bed. Previously planted 9 strawberry starts; unclear on their status under all the tomatoes.

No dig gardening revitalized my other 4 beds, so I'm partial to that approach. But ... how do I move forward for productive harvests next year? A couple of ideas I'm pondering ...
1. Do I rip out the remaining plants + roots in beds 1 and 3 and mix in ... top soil (?) to those along with bed 2?
2. Do I layer top soil on top of the existing compost now that the beds have settled and I have about 3" of room at the top of each?
3. Absent those approaches ... what the heck do I do?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading!
That is so interesting. Is the garden finished or can you post a photo?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seeds will germinate at higher rates if the substrate is topsoil and not compost. It's very important not to let the compost content get higher than the topsoil
content.

Yes, I would say to go to the topsoil layer now on top of the compost. Lastly when the pile cools down, go back to the original layer(pine shavings w/chicken manure, leaves, etc.
Thanks for sharing your hard work, it's very interesting friend keep us posted.

Ask a Question